President Candidates Alex Lane Areeq ‘Chowdhury for Change’ Chowdhury David ‘Talk to’ Franklin Jack Kearns Tom ‘tomtom’ DeFraine Alex Lane How’s your campaign been so far and what have you been up to? Well it’s been good so far. It started off quite slowly at the start of the week. I was making sure my […]

Written by Dominic Jackson

President

Candidates
Alex Lane
Areeq ‘Chowdhury for Change’ Chowdhury
David ‘Talk to’ Franklin
Jack Kearns
Tom ‘tomtom’ DeFraine

Alex Lane

How’s your campaign been so far and what have you been up to?
Well it’s been good so far. It started off quite slowly at the start of the week. I was making sure my signs were out, making sure my facebook group was the best it could be, going into lectures and talking to people, but it only really got going on Thursday and Friday. I got all my signs up and I could start really getting into the rhythm of things. But the week has ended positively, I thought it’s gone very well.

Going into week two, can we expect more of the same from you or are you planning on racheting up your campaign?
Well I kinda upped the game a bit by bringing down my ‘engagement tool’ as I call it, Finn, my pug puppy while my parents are away. So I’ve been using him to engage with people and that’s gone very very well, but I’m definitely going to up my game next week in that I’ve got a lot more things to engage students with, I’ve got a full lecture timetable to be going into, I’m door knocking every night. So I’m definitely upping my game and tempo and I can only hope that the other candidates do the same.

Were you at campaigning Fab at the weekend?
I was yes, I was wearing my t-shirt and a few of my friends as well. But I didn’t want to be patrolling around Fab, handing out leaflets, haranguing people, when essentially it is a night out. I mean, you get enough of it on campus. Basically what I was doing was wearing my t-shirt. If people wanted to engage with me they could, and I had a bit of banter back and forth. It wasn’t seriously about putting across my policies, it was more putting my face out there and making sure that people know I’m a normal guy. I’m not just some annoying person in a t-shirt handing them out a leaflet.

Now that voting is open, do you have any message for the student body as to why they should vote for you?
Basically I’ve feel like I’ve been repeating my policies ad nausea. The one thing I’ve taken from them is that they’re policies for real students. They’re really policies for the unengaged student to bring them into the Guild. That’s really all I can say. I’m a candidate that’s in touch with the opinion of many students and their concerns. So if you want representation of your concerns then vote for me.
Back to top

Areeq ‘Chowdhury for change’ Chowdhury

Not bad, I’ve really been focussing on speaking to students directly rather than the cardboard gimmicky banner thing. Although I do have a few signs out there, a few posters, I’ve been doing shout outs in lectures every hour, on the hour. Also, I’ve been talking to students in common rooms, sitting down if they want to talk about my policies or what I stand for. Also the debate was quite interesting. A lot of the issues that were discussed were addressed on my manifesto. Apart from the higher education one, all the other questions were addressed by my manifesto and I have solutions to them. The Redbrick Sunday Edition was good as well, I like the student media groups’ coverage of the elections, it’s very professional.

I will be stepping my campaign up. The thing I like at the moment is campus presence against the other candidates. It’s important. So I have a few banners out there or signs, but I’m going to stick with the tactic of talking to students, asking them what they think of the elections. Because as it is now a lot of students are turned off, especially in the second week they will be more turned off. It’s going to be harder to talk to them.

It’s disappointing that there seems to be a lot of focus on cardboard and gimmicks. I like to think that just by displaying my policies, talking to students, and addressing issues that matter to them, I can win by campaigning by substance rather than style. But it does seem like its essential to get your name out there. Although, it’s funny, because I have random students coming up to me and going “I like your manifesto; I think it’s the best one”. And vote match is interesting, because people are saying that they rate me the most based on the manifesto and then on vote match they get me last. Which is weird, because they ask me which one I should go on, and obviously I tell them to go on with the policies because vote match isn’t actually to do with the policies.

Yes, despite my dislike for Fab I did. It was the first Fab I went to since freshers. It was better, because I’ve spent a lot of my time talking to students. I got there quite early so I could talk to students. They’re all quite interesting. A lot of them are turned off and I said “you should vote, because it’s your money that’s going to be going to the Guild, you should use your opportunity to get your voice heard”. Some students surprised me and said they’d already voted for me, but most were turned off by the gimmicky thing. I see it that I’m not going to treat you like a 5-year old or give you sweets and dress up. I’m just going to level with you and tell you what I stand for.

I met a lot of people I wanted to speak to, such as members of the Christian’s union who were standing outside giving out water bottles. They were quite interested in my policies because obviously I have a lot that appeals to religious students on campus. A lot of students didn’t know the policies but they knew about the gimmicks. A lot of students weren’t interested, but obviously I wasn’t going to force myself upon them.

You should vote for me because if you want a candidate who has policies that benefit that benefits every single student at the university, whether that be advancing career prospects, celebrating diversity, creating an inclusive Guild or enhancing links with local disadvantages communities then you should definitely vote for me. These are the most important issues as a Guild that we can address. Socially, to improve individuals’ career prospects and making sure that everyone is having a good time at university. That’s what we should be addressing as a student union first of all before everything else.
Back to top

David ‘Talk to’ Franklin

I’m really enjoying it. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done and I’ve done some really hard things. More than anything the people I’ve met along the way, the students, just make it fantastic. Getting my message out there, the more I talk about it the more I’m convinced it’s great stuff.

The smile on people’s faces when they hear these things, it’s like ‘why has no-one ever thought of this before’. But these are things that come directly from speaking to students. I’ve set an hour a week, every week as a Guild councillor and have had people come to me and say ‘why don’t we do this? why don’t we have this? why do we only have one club night?’. And that’s where it’s come from. I just hope that I’m the one in position to do these things.

We’re definitely stepping it up a gear. We’ve been hard at work over the weekend. We’ve taken a break. We have not particularly gone out and hassled students because I think they need a break as well. We’ve worked on campaign materials; we’ve got some good original ideas coming up. We’ve pulled out some of our stops, but there’s more to come. Watch this space.

Yep, I turned up. It’s almost like another box to tick on the campaign trail alongside all the posters and the fliers and the video. There was a really nice atmosphere. It started to die down a bit earlier than I thought it would, about one or two o’clock, because usually it’s like being in a fight; it’s busy and hectic, but it was nice.

People were recognising me and coming up to me. Some were absolutely paralytic and ranting at me, but others genuinely had concerns and questions. That’s what this is all about, going out, “talk to Franklin”, and just chatting to people and seeing how they react to you and what you want to do. It’s that face time, it’s the best bit.

I would encourage students to take their time and consider who they are voting for; to look at all the candidates because we all offer different things. And don’t be disillusioned either, because there are some really wonderful things that all of us are promising to do. Why me? Because I’ve not promised to do anything that won’t happen, the stuff I’ve promised is extremely feasible.

Rather than doing my academic work I’ve spent my last month or so trawling the internet to research my policies. Vote for me because I’m approachable, because you believe in what I want to do, you’re convinced by what I want to do and because it will make a difference. Next year the Guild will have a completely different vibe to it.
Back to top

Jack Kearns

We’ll I’ve mostly just been working on my dissertation at the library and hiding out at home lamenting myself with the cello over the fiasco which is going on at campus.

Well I still intend to be working on my dissertation next week, but I may start giving daily readings of Nietzsche outside the library although that is dependent on my dissertation progress.

Alas I wasn’t. As of late I’ve had to quit drinking because I fear it is clouding my mind. At the moment I’ve gone quite deep into a rabbit hole with my dissertation and I need to keep my mind clear and relatively crisp, as crisp as it can be with the convoluted mind I have in the first place. So I’ve had to quit drinking so that I can tackle the ideas in my dissertation correctly and not fluff them up.

I think the only way to enjoy Fab ‘n’ Fresh is to be absolutely battered out of your scull. I have no interest… it would be fun sure, but I’ve have to be pissed and my degree would suffer for it. And also I have no interest in going to Fab ‘n’ Fresh like some other candidates and trying to shag random people. I’d rather not degrade myself in that manner.

I think my main message I’d want to give to students is not to vote at all. You should vote R.O.N. in every category. To vote is to legitimise the system and at the moment we have a completely corrupt and illegitimate system and the best way to subvert it is to not vote at all and to actually completely eradicate the system and when we have this anarchistic situation which would then come about we can set up a syndicalist type system where we can hold weekly general meetings and everyone can come and voice their views. Obviously propositions can come from the floor and then different people can chair it each time.

We’ll have a more communitarian system as opposed to this backwards, cliquey, elitist situation we have at the moment with careerists who don’t actually care about anything and only want to feed their hunger for power.
Back to top

Tom ‘tomtom’ DeFraine

First week has really just been spent getting my presence out there. I’ve door knocked almost every hall now except the satellite halls. I’ve been really busy with the campaign, giving out a lot of sweets, talking to a lot of people, getting my mascot out there which is representative of all the hard work that’s gone into the campaign so far. So, I’m just trying to push out my message and I think it’s had a good reception so far.

Going into week two, can we expect more of the same from you or are you planning on ratcheting up your campaign?
More of the same in terms of lots of signage, but I do have a few tricks up my sleeve. There are going to be a few big moments next week, mid week, a few big plans are coming. So hopefully its just going to be a big bombardment of campus before Friday.

Yes I was. My campaign team was out in strength in their campaign t-shirts. It was good to see lots of candidates there, and it was nice just to talk to people and explain about the dynamics of the elections. I had a lot of people heckling me yelling “hey TomTom” which was quite nice to hear. I did talk to a lot of people in their sobriety so it was a good night out; definitely a nice relax for the campaign team.

The student body should vote for me as a vote for experience. My knowledge of the Guild has given me a really strong mandate to run and I want to make sure that the Guild is led by someone who knows all of the Guild structures now and someone who has already kicked up enough of a fuss in the past to get what they want for students and I’m willing to continue doing that if I was president.
Back to top