The University of Birmingham will be building a new biomedical hub to open in 2014. The project is expected to create 600 jobs in total, 100 directly and 500 indirectly. Birmingham announced the £6.8m project on November 21st, which will be built in Birmingham’s new Life Sciences campus. The Life Sciences campus will be placed […]

Education Correspondent. 3rd year History student. Interests: History, Politics, Journalism.

The University of Birmingham will be building a new biomedical hub to open in 2014.

The project is expected to create 600 jobs in total, 100 directly and 500 indirectly. Birmingham announced the £6.8m project on November 21st, which will be built in Birmingham’s new Life Sciences campus. The Life Sciences campus will be placed on the former Birmingham Battery Park.

Although the campus was approved last April, the biomedical hub was not approved until the European Regional Development Fund promised to match any funding the university approved of.

The project will contribute to wider plans for Birmingham to be a focal location for European medical research. Small businesses employing 50 to 100 people can rent lab benches and work from here, growing their businesses. Research will also be a key part of this project.

Birmingham’s life sciences have seen a boom over the last decade. Life sciences have grown 45% since 2005. Its development, research and business output contributes £180 m to the region’s economy at current. The new biomedical hub will hopefully create a greater contribution to the region because of all the new business and research opportunities.

It is hoped that more opportunities for medical businesses to grow and expand will come from this hub as well as the running of more patient trials.

This project will be one of many that will begin in the new Life Sciences campus. The campus expects to create around 2,400 jobs in the region. Future projects also include an institute for Translational Medicine, which will open in 2015.