New Collaborative Teaching Laboratory Opens | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

New Collaborative Teaching Laboratory Opens

The new Collaborative Teaching Laboratory (CTL) opened at the beginning of this academic year

The new facility, which cost £40 million, began construction in December 2016.

According to the University’s website, the new Collaborative Teaching Laboratory is set to ‘rethink the way STEM subjects are taught at the University.’

Built by construction and infrastructure company Morgan Sindall and designed by architect Sheppard Robson, the facility is designed to move away from specific-subject labs. The hope is to take a more interdisciplinary approach to science and engineering subjects.

It really epitomises our commitment to providing the very best academic facilities for our students

The Collaborative Teaching Laboratory features state-of-the-art facilities such as a dry lab, an e-lab and a wet lab which will allow students to experience industry-like environments. Virtual reality technology will also be available to support student learning.

On the lower-ground floor is an event space which has been designed to create an interactive environment and visually-stimulating displays for STEM showcases.

The CTL has also been awarded the BREEAM Excellent standard and an EPC A Rating for energy efficiency.

Trevor Payne, Director of Estates at the University of Birmingham, said: ‘We are very proud of the Collaborative Teaching Laboratory.’

‘It really epitomises our commitment to providing the very best academic facilities for our students. Beyond this, however, the CTL is a space that will not only support degree-related learning but also prepare undergraduates for their professional lives, giving them an unparalleled student experience.’

The innovative design of the CTL sets a new standard for collaborative academic facilities

Richard Fielding, Morgan Sindall’s area director in the Midlands, added: ‘Universities in the Midlands need world-class laboratories and teaching spaces to compete on an increasingly competitive international stage.’

‘The innovative design of the CTL sets a new standard for collaborative academic facilities and will enable a step change in the way STEM subjects are taught.

‘It’s one of a number of significant projects we’ve worked in partnership with the university to deliver and everyone involved can be proud of the end result.’

News Editor. Final year English Literature student.

Megan Stanley