Spyro Speedrunning Tournament: Who Will Be The Fastest Dragon? | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Spyro Speedrunning Tournament: Who Will Be The Fastest Dragon?

Sam Nason tells us about an upcoming Spyro speed running tournament, contributing to the hype for the release of the Spyro: Reignited Trilogy

A group of amateur speedrunners have banded together to create a 30-person Spyro speedrunning tournament.

The International Spyro Grand Prix celebrates the return of the beloved character, pitting runners against each other in a series of competitions. Created by fans CrystalFissure and Nintendogen64, the tournament seeks to test the skills of even the most veteran Spyro players.

Conventional speedruns in the Spyro community don’t usually stray too far from tradition – 120% in Spyro the Dragon for example, or All Talismans in Spyro 2. The ISGP subverts this and assigns their own specific goals to give the competition its own entertaining twist. One Spryo 2 run, for example, had its two competitors find all Summer Forest talismans whilst using the climb ability to climb up and down every possible climbable object in the hub world.

Speedrunning

The tournament follows a format to New Japan Pro Wrestling’s own annual G1 Climax competition. Competitors are split into three groups of ten people, where they face each other to secure points for their wins.

The top two competitors of each group move on to the semi-finals, where they will compete once more to whittle themselves down to three. These three runners will face each other in a final triple-threat matchup to decide who will be crowned the World Speedrunning Champion!

The games the runners will play include:

• Spyro the Dragon [NTSC/PAL]
  • Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage/Gateway to Glimmer
  • Spyro: Year of the Dragon [NSTC/PAL]
  • Spyro the Dragon [NTSC-J] [Japanese]
  • Spyro x Sparx: Tondemo Tours [NTSC-J] [Japanese]

With a tournament also being planned for the Spyro: Reignited Trilogy, it’s clear to see that the love for the purple dragon has never been higher. Personally, it feels amazing to see such a warm reception for a character that some were sceptical could make a comeback - what the ISGP is doing is a great celebration of Spyro’s imminent return, and punctuates the incredible hype and anticipation many fans are feeling towards the new remakes.

For more information, you can check out the International Spyro Grand Prix website or watch the tournament as it unfolds on their YouTube channel.

Speedrunning

First Year English and Drama student, conquering one game at a time in between! (@samjnason)

2nd May 2018 at 9:00 am

3rd May 2018 at 1:25 pm

YouTube