Perrie Edwards Embraces her Freckles in Recent Instagram Selfie | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Perrie Edwards Embraces her Freckles in Recent Instagram Selfie

Life and Style's Elizabeth Wilson discusses how celebrities such as Perrie Edwards and Meghan Markle are helping women embrace their freckles and adding to the popularity of the fake freckle trend

Freckles have always been a subject of debate for the beauty industry. Growing up, I received lots of compliments on my full face of natural freckles, but that didn’t stop me doing everything I could to remove them – from trying to scrub them off to trying to lighten them with lemon juice. And it seems so many women felt the same, some going as far as paying hundreds of pounds for laser treatment to remove the apparent ‘imperfections’.

One celebrity who has recently spoken out about her freckles is Little Mix star Perrie Edwards. Writing on her official Instagram account, she said: ‘Growing up I was always insecure about the freckles on my face. Over the last couple of years I’ve started to embrace them and don’t feel I need to hide them anymore.

'Embrace your individuality. Love what you love without worrying about judgement'
'Embrace your individuality. Love what you love without worrying about judgement', accompanied with a picture revealing her full face of the beauty spots.

Freckles have become increasingly popular in recent years, with Meghan Markle being of the the latest fashion icons to show off her natural skin, sparking a legion on women to reveal their own.

Whilst freckle-free skin was once the desire for all women, more and more people are opting for ‘fake freckles’. These makeup tutorials promising a freckle-faced look using eyeliner or eyebrow pencils are gaining popularity – reaching over a million views each.

However, some are taking more drastic steps towards appearing to have the natural beauty marks. Tattoo artists have seen a rise in clients paying for a face of tattoos looking almost identical to the natural marks.

This freckle mania seems a far cry from the days of rubbing lemon juice on my skin, and it seems posts like Perrie’s really are making a difference to young people. Fans are inspired by Perrie’s bravery, with one writing: ‘I have forever hated and covered my freckles up but seing posts like this makes me think why should I be so harsh on myself to try and cover them up I just need to feel my confidence to get them out maybe it'll come one day’.

(@lxzziegirl)

12th September 2018 at 7:00 am

10th September 2018 at 12:31 pm

Twitter/@PLELittleMix