Poppy Wilkinson has been re-elected as President of the Guild of Students in the 2014 elections as she won with 2447 votes in the fourth round of voting, achieving 58% of the vote. Poppy is the first President of the Guild of Students to be re-elected. Despite only 5,357 votes cast in this years Guild […]

Images by Michael Jevon

Poppy Wilkinson has been re-elected as President of the Guild of Students in the 2014 elections as she won with 2447 votes in the fourth round of voting, achieving 58% of the vote. Poppy is the first President of the Guild of Students to be re-elected.

Despite only 5,357 votes cast in this years Guild elections, equating to less than 25% of the student body, the atmosphere at last night’s results evening was extremely tense. Frankie, running for Welfare, had over twenty members of his campaign team present. One stated: ‘we got up early every day, we campaigned every minute, we have to have faith in our preparation.’

Tetris Tim, who came second to Poppy in last years elections, described the atmosphere in Deb Hall as ‘quite quiet, a bit subdued, there are fewer candidates running this year’.

Poppy will be working with Frankie Greenwell, Vice President of Welfare; Joe Armer, Vice President Education; Wadim Wesolek, Vice President of Activities and Development; Molly Browne, Vice President of Sport and Nutrition; Jack Mably, Vice President Housing and Community; and Bethan Dovey, Vice President of Democracy, Resources and Sustainability, who sent her commiserations to RON.

This is the first time that the president in the Guild of Students has been re-elected. After a tight voting period Poppy Wilkinson beat Edward Sainsbury in the fourth round of voting, 2447 votes to Sainsbury’s 1786.

pres 1

In the most contested positions, Joe Armer won VPE with 60.7% of the vote in the first round of voting. Frankie Greenwell won with 53.1% of the vote, but the election had no clear winner until the third round of voting.

Reaction to the campaigning process was mixed. Molly Browne (VPSN) stated ‘it’s been the longest ten days ever’, whilst Jack Mably described it as ‘the worst ten days of my life but the best at the same time’.

However, reaction from winning candidates was overwhelming. Wadim, the elected VPAD, told Redbrick ‘it’s been an amazing ten days. I don’t know what to say. Thank you everyone for voting for me. I’m not going to cry. Thank you very, very much.’

There was some controversy on the night. Non-Sabbatical Officer winners were not allowed to give speeches this year, sparking outrage and complaints.

Hattie Craig, the outgoing VPE told Redbrick that she thought ‘this election has been unfair from the start. The fact that one candidate was only told the night before elections open that she could run makes it unfair. Poppy ran a strong campaign this year, I’m not surprised she won.’

On winning her second term of presidency, Poppy stated, ‘I’d just like to say a massive well done to George, Ben Ed and Max; you should be so proud of the campaigns that you’ve done. I’m extraordinarily proud, especially on International Women’s Day.’

Speaking to Redbrick after the election, she stated, ‘I’m overwhelmed. This means that students want change, they want decision making to be accessible. The new team will be fantastic, there will be new challenges but I’m very excited. I’m looking forward to reforming guild politics.’

pres 2