Preview: Jorja Smith | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Preview: Jorja Smith

Music writer Emily Bahari-Modaresi tells us why you should consider catching one of the UK's greatest vocalists, Jorja Smith, on tour this month

2018 has seen the UK pump out some of the freshest and most talented upcoming artists, therefore it will be a great surprise if you haven’t already experienced the illustrious and soulful voice of Jorja Smith. The 21 year-old Walsall born singer’s infectious tunes will be hitting the renowned O2 Academy Birmingham this October 13th for her greatly anticipated sold out UK tour.

Jorja’s admirable vocal range, with her unique and distinguishable tone, evokes nostalgic memories of balmy UK summer nights
The classically trained vocalist’s vibe heavy debut album Lost and Found, released June this year, is bursting with a hypnotising mix of soul, jazz and R&B, coupled with Jorja’s impressive and velvety vocals. The album includes songs such as Smith’s first release ‘Blue Lights’ and ‘Teenage Fantasy’, which reflect not only Jorja’s acute awareness of current social issues but also showcases her impressive mix of both vulnerability and self-assuredness. Jorja’s admirable vocal range, with her unique and distinguishable tone, evokes nostalgic memories of balmy UK summer nights, whilst her influences such as Amy Winehouse are clear with her beautiful exploration of human emotion and belonging.

At the tender age of 21, Jorja already boasts an impressive catalogue of collaborations. Featuring on Drake’s album More Life, released in 2017, alongside infamous rappers such as Kanye West, Jorja has also worked with the likes of Croydon based rapper Stormzy. After winning the Brit Critics' Choice award 2018, in addition to her 4 million worldwide monthly listeners on Spotify alone, the young artist is set to receive a very warm welcome this October as she returns back home to the West Midlands. If you weren’t lucky enough to get your hands on any tickets for Jorja’s upcoming UK and European tour, keep an eye out for the talented songstress who inevitably has exciting things to come.

'Lost and Found' is available now via FAMM. Jorja Smith tours UK and Europe commencing October 4th. Tickets are available here.

The Come Up Show