Preview: Kamaal Williams | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Preview: Kamaal Williams

Music writer Seb Rolley looks forwards to Kamaal Williams' live show at The Crossing

In support of his fantastic new album, The Return, Kamaal Williams (AKA Henry Wu) brings his highly-anticipated tour to The Crossing on the 8th November; a show which promises to showcase the cutting edge of the UK’s thriving jazz scene to Birmingham.

As one half of the duo Yussef Kamaal, Williams exploded onto the UK jazz circuit with the 2016 album Black Focus. Since the breakup of the band however, he has only served to build upon and develop his approach to music, his latest album providing some of the best tracks of his career and defining his place as a singular talent in modern music. Combining the worlds of jazz fusion and dance music, Williams’ music owes as much of its sound to London pirate radio as it does to jazz pianists.

Support comes from multi-instrumentalist and singer Mansur Brown, fresh off the release of his album Shiroi. Known previously for his guitar work with musicians such as Yussef Dayes, don’t miss this chance to see one of the best guitarists around step into the spotlight with his own music. Enlisting the help of some of the best musicians in the country and playing material off one of the best albums of the year, Williams’ performance is set to be one of the best upcoming gigs in the area.

Kamaal Williams takes to The Crossing on November 8th. Tickets are still available here.

English Lit student, music lover and confused jazz bass player (@sebrolley)

2nd November 2018 at 1:00 pm

Rene Passet