Kirstie Sutherland previews Rae Morris’ new tour, telling Redbrick it is not one to be missed

Deputy editor of Redbrick. Final year English Lit and Spanish student. I like music, coffee and bad jokes.
Images by Rae Morris

It has been a long while since Rae Morris last visited the second city. Hot off the heels of sophomore album Someone Out There, released in January this year, Morris is making her hotly anticipated return to B-town this week. Her ethereal vocals fused with electronica and synths will of course be in tow, and judging by the strength of her discography, Birmingham’s O2 Institute is in for a treat.

An album chock-full of strong and well-crafted tracks, her maturity is plain; so too is her penchant for risk.

Her debut album Unguarded hit the charts some three years ago now, and her new release is another cohesive collection. An album chock-full of strong and well-crafted tracks, her maturity is plain; so too is her penchant for risk. Someone Out There is all about nuance, each track vying for ‘best in show’ for completely different reasons. ‘Lower The Tone’ is but one example of aforementioned risk, the cacophonic cut beginning with such a slow fragility that when it builds, it is almost hard to comprehend it is the same track – if anything, this is that which shows off her talents best. With punchy single ‘Atletico (The Only One)’, Morris proves she is able to create electronica with a more pop-infused edge and take a leap into the unknown. In short, it is hard to pigeonhole Morris; that is the beauty.

Rae Morris’ signature vocal range and celestial, almost Kate Bush-like essence, will be hitting the O2 Institute stage this Wednesday, and we here at Redbrick cannot wait.