Preview: Tom Odell | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Preview: Tom Odell

Upon the release of Tom Odell's newest album, Social Secretary Sorcha Hornett tells us why his accompanying UK tour is an intimate experience not to be missed

Two years have passed since Tom Odell released his second album Wrong Crowd, but he’s burst back onto the scene with four singles released just in the past year and a twelve date UK and Ireland tour kicking off on October 12th , which coincides with his new album, Jubilee Road, being released on the same date. He will be taking over the O2 Academy in Birmingham on Sunday 21st October.

Odell has the ability to make any venue intimate with his emotional, yet beautiful, songs
Odell has been hot on the scene since 2013 when he released his first album, Long Way Down, and being named as the BRITs Critics’ Choice Award in the same year. He was known for his singer-songwriter persona, but his second album saw a different side to him as EDM and rock influences started making an appearance. With his new album, it looks like he’ll be abandoning this to go back to what he is most known for. The four singles that have been released all show what Odell is does best: haunting vocals. Take ‘If You Wanna Love Somebody’ and ‘Half As Good As You’, both passionate songs with intricate lyrics which showcase Odell’s favourite topics, love and heartbreak. His upcoming tour is the perfect chance for Odell to let his newest album shine and show everybody exactly why he rose to fame so quickly.

Performing with just a piano, Odell gives his voice the chance to dominate the room. He has the ability to make any venue intimate with his emotional, yet beautiful, songs. I for one am very excited for an evening of stunning vocals that are sure to give anyone chills.

'Jubilee Road' is available October 12th via Columbia Records. Tom Odell tours the UK commencing October 12th. Tickets are available here.

social secretary & third year english lit student that drinks a lot of coffee and thinks she can write. (@sorchahornettxo)

Tom Odell