Life&Style’s Josie Hart uncovers how Prince Harry has been wearing a sleep ring which uses new technology that tracks sleep, health and activity

Written by Josie Hart
Images by Marco Verch

Whilst dream-crushingly, we may not all be able to wear an engagement ring from Prince Harry, another one of Harry’s rings, you could actually own. If you had been following Harry and Meghan’s trip to Australia as closely as the rest of us had, vigorously analysing each photo for a glimpse of the royal baby bump, you wouldn’t have been able to miss the rather large, dark ring Harry has been sporting. Before alarm is raised, Harry has been wearing this ring on his right hand whilst still proudly bearing his wedding ring on the other.

The mysterious dark ring is in fact the new development of the health tracking watch which has caught major popularity over the past few years. The Oura ring tracks your sleep, general health and activity using temperature sensors, infrared LEDs, heart rate monitors and various other body tracking technologies. The Oura website explains that gaining this insightful information about your body through 24/7 tracking will allow you to sleep better. But coming in at almost £300, does it really work and is it really worth it?

The Oura ring tracks your sleep, general health and activity using temperature sensors, infrared LEDs, heart rate monitors and various other body tracking technologies

The sleep ring comes with an app that provides users with a sleep balance, comparing their activity with how well they slept the night before. The idea is that being provided with this information everyday will prompt users to put more thought into not just how much sleep they are getting, but also the quality of sleep, including movement during sleep and how many times you wake up (Yes, that happens several times a night even if you don’t realise it). Reviews have noted how accurate the data received is and the high level of detail provided. Not only do you get a sleep score which gives you an easy-to-understand overview of how well you slept, but also information about how much time was spent in different stages of sleep, sleep duration and efficiency. Therefore, the ring does work and can really help you to assess whether you’re getting enough quality sleep for the level of activity you do in the day.

Not only do you get a sleep score which gives you an easy-to-understand overview of how well you slept, but also information about how much time was spent in different stages of sleep, sleep duration and efficiency

However, whilst this technology is obviously extremely innovative and could make major impacts for those with sleep difficulties, for the rest of us, surely checking how dark the bags under your eyes and assessing how badly you want to throw the cover over your head and go back to sleep when your alarm goes off is sufficient? For a Prince, the £300 cost is probably justifiable, but as a university student, you probably don’t need fancy infrared LED technology to know that you could do with some more shut-eye.

So, here are some practical tips you can follow to help you improve your sleep without tipping you over into your overdraft:

Stop looking at your phone 30 mins before you go to sleep.

Whilst those final Snapchat checks may seem vital, they could be preventing you from actually making it to that 9am lecture. The blue light from the screen wakes your brain up thus making it more difficult to get to sleep.

Do some exercise in the evening.

Making your body tired before you settle down for the night will guarantee a good night’s rest and heavy sleep.

Drink a calming tea.

Decaffeinated herbal teas like chamomile tea have been shown to make you feel more relaxed thus making it easier to get to sleep. Scents like lavender may also have the same effect.

Guided meditation.

Whilst umming and ahhing are not necessary, a simple breathing exercise can help to quiet your mind and relax your body..