Recipe: Apple Frangipane Tartlets | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Recipe: Apple Frangipane Tartlets

Toby Fenton gives you a chance to indulge yourself with a recipe for tartlets

Makes 6 small tartlets (9/10cm tart cases) or one large 23cm tart

Apples are right in season in the UK at this time of year, so it is a perfect recipe to make! With buttery, crisp pastry and a soft, almond frangipane filling, topped with slices of apple and flaked almonds, this recipe has it all. This recipe also helps use up leftover apples, which I had after making toffee apples.

If you do happen to make this recipe or any of my others, send me your photos on Instagram @tobyfenton2

Ingredients:

2 dessert apples (I used Granny Smith), peeled, cored & sliced

2 tbsp apricot jam (or honey, which I used)

Flaked almonds

Ice cream to serve

For the pastry:

90g butter, softened

65g caster sugar

3 large egg yolks (use the egg whites to make meringue!)

200g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)

For the frangipane:

125g butter, softened

125g caster sugar

2 large eggs

125g ground almonds

1 tbsp plain flour

Method:

1. For the pastry, cream the butter and sugar together until combined, then beat in the egg yolks one at a time, until fully mixed in. Then add the flour and mix until the dough comes together.
  2. Tip the pastry out on to a floured work surface and knead very briefly. Try not to overwork your dough, otherwise your pastry will be tough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat your oven 170oC/Gas Mark 5. On a lightly floured surface, roll out your pastry to around 3mm, and line your tart cases with the pastry, gently pressing the pasty into the base and sides of the case. Then trim off the excess with a knife.
  4. Line each tart tin with baking paper, and fill with baking beans/rice, and blind bake for 10 minutes. Remove the baking paper and baking beans and cook for a further 3 minutes until the pastry is a light golden colour.
  5. To make the frangipane, beat together the butter and sugar using an electric hand whisk until light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs, one at a time.
  6. Fold in the ground almonds and flour, then spoon into the tart cases. Arrange the apples on top and gently press into the frangipane. Then bake for 30 minutes, until the frangipane has risen and is set. Brush the top of the tarts with apricot jam (or honey) and sprinkle over flaked almonds, and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes until golden and the almonds have toasted.
  7. Allow to cool in the cases for 10 minutes, then remove from the cases. Serve warm with cream or ice cream. I had a delicious caramel-pecan ice cream, which was a perfect accompaniment for this delicious dessert.

@tobyfenton2 on Instagram

Toby Fenton