Food&Drink's Harriet Laban has all the details for Digbeth's antics this weekend at The Independent Birmingham's FestivalWritten by Harriet Laban on 15th May 2019
Recipe of the Fortnight: Creamy Smokey Avocado Pasta
Food writer, Georgia Preistley, wants to spread the word on a fruit that adds a certain sparkle to your mid-week dinner!
For too long the avocado has been reserved for light summery salads and refreshing guacamole. I want to spread the word that it can be used to create a delectably creamy pasta sauce; the ultimate winter comfort food without the stodge of a cream-laden carbonara. Don’t judge this dish on its looks, it truly is delicious and nutritious.
“Avocados are a rich source of vitamins, potassium and healthy fats
This is a great recipe for incorporating some of their goodness into your diet. What’s more, this healthy supper takes about 10 minutes to make, so it’s great for slobby students like myself.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 200g spaghetti or tagliatelle
- 1 large avocado
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 1 dessert spoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Small handful of fresh basil
1) Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the pasta. Boil for 8 minutes or until cooked.
2) In the meantime make the sauce. Scoop out the avocado and combine with the lemon juice, garlic, smoked paprika and olive oil. Mash with a fork until smooth and season to taste (be generous with the salt, it will bring out the sweetness of the avocado!)
3) Drain the pasta once it is cooked, reserving some of the starchy water.
4) Return the pasta to the pan. Add the avocado mix and combine. Add some of the starchy water to loosen the sauce until you have a silky texture.
5) Tear in the fresh basil, and serve.