Redbrick Meets: Dream State | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Redbrick Meets: Dream State

Naomi Penn catches up with Rhys Wilcox of Dream State to chat about new music, influences and where you can catch them performing soon, including an upcoming show at 2000 Trees Festival

In their most successful year yet, following the release of the acclaimed EP Recovery in May and appearing on the bill of every major music festival going, I chatted to guitarist Rhys Wilcox of Dream State on his excitement for 2000 Trees Festival, and what’s next for the band.

2000 Trees is one of my favourites because it takes all the best elements of small and big festivals and puts them together
You seem to be on the line up of every major festival this summer. How do you think 2000 Trees will compare with the others?

It's one of my favourites because it takes all the best elements of small and big festivals and puts them together. You can get the best of both worlds, whether you want to watch an awesome headline act on the main stage or just chill out to some acoustic sets in the forest!

Will you be staying to watch other bands over the weekend? If so, who?

Yes! I've already made a plan of who I'm seeing, although it was tough to pick between some of them. Some of my must-see bands are Hellions, Chapter and Verse, Enter Shikari, Palm Reader, Vukovi, Cove, Press to Meco, Conjurer and Touché Amoré … loads of sick bands to choose from!

I've read that CJ’s voice has been compared to early Hayley Williams. Was she ever an influence?

CJ gets so many different comparisons; we've had Oli Sykes, Lacey Sturm, Kellin Quinn, and more! The closest to CJ's influences that I've seen is probably Chester Bennington from Linkin Park. They were a big band for us all growing up, so it's cool that people can hear that in her voice!

You've got a slot supporting The Amity Affliction on their tour later this year. Do you find tour shows to be much different to festival shows?

Festivals are great for making an impact with people who haven't heard of us before, whereas touring tends to be more intimate and involved. The most important thing is that both give us a chance to connect with people and share that energy that a live show brings.

The closest to CJ's influences that I've seen is probably Chester Bennington from Linkin Park

I first saw you supporting Don Broco at their one-off show at The Booking Hall in Dover. Did you ever picture yourselves performing around the country as much as you have after that show?

That was the biggest show we'd ever done, so we were all star-struck to be sharing the stage with Don Broco. We work our butts off trying to bring our passion to life and touring is a big part of that. It's always been a conscious effort to get out on the road, so we're really lucky to have made that into a reality!

Finally, will you be back in the studio any time soon?

We've just finished something special in the studio and we'll be back in gain before we know it, so make sure to keep an ear to the ground for more Dream State in 2018!

Dream State will perform at 2000 Trees Festival on July 14th. Tickets are available here. Tickets to see Dream State support The Amity Affliction's UK tour are available hereDream State's EP 'Recovery' is available now via UNFD. 

English student, music lover (@naomipenn97)

6th July 2018 at 9:00 am

19th July 2018 at 12:08 pm

2000 Trees