Redbrick (Re-)Meets: Superorganism | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Redbrick (Re-)Meets: Superorganism

Matt Johnson speaks to Tucan of Superorganism about their not-so-cramped living situation, apple crunch samples and Flight of the Conchords

Redbrick got in contact with Tucan from everyone’s favourite synth- pop supergroup Superorganism to discuss touring, life in the band and what's to come.

The supergroup consists of 8 members, each bringing a radically different style and culture to the overall dynamic
Superorganism are quite the mysterious group, having exploded onto the scene with their hit single 'Something for your M.I.N.D.', and their subsequent self- titled album has listeners wanting more. The supergroup consists of 8 members, each bringing a radically different style and culture to the overall dynamic. This is due to the band bonding over the internet, with members hailing from the UK, Korea, Japan, New Zealand and Australia. The band are currently pleasantly enjoying their time off tour to produce exciting new music, and prepare for their upcoming UK dates from the 15th to the end of October.

One of the eye- catching things about the album Superorganism is that, alongside its release, Spotify listeners were treated to visual clips accompanying the music. Superorganism came out with every song having brilliant, popping GIFs. Tucan revealed they had been approached by Spotify to be one of the first bands to have such a feature, and it makes sense given Superorganism’s sound is complemented with these bright, sharp visuals, harmonising with the funky synth beats. They are due to the hard work of Robert, who is strictly the band’s visual artist.

We managed to have a chat with one of the producers, writers, and occasional drummer, Tucan. He’s from New Zealand and relates this newfound fame to characters Jermaine and Brett from hit show ‘Flight of the Conchords’, saying there are serious correlations being from New Zealand and moving to a big city like New York or London and pursuing the dream of making great music. For the record, his favourite Flight Of The Conchords hits are 'Foo Doo Fa Fa' and 'Carol Brown'.

Tucan gave some insight into the creative process,  and, if you’ve heard any of Superorganism’s gripping production across their whole album, then you know they really push the boundaries for creative sampling. He said 'my favourites include the classic apple crunch sound from 'Something for your M.I.N.D.', and a session of recording water splashing around their bathtub'.

While talking to Tucan he noted that band members were literally working on new music in the other room, and stresses that they’re 'sitting on a pile of great stuff'
Tucan said he really enjoyed touring with the band, and enjoyed having YUNO support them on their most recent set of dates, an artist from Jacksonville who has a similar pop- synth vibe yet delivers as a single artists who writes, produces, and sings on his tracks. Superorganism have decided to move in together, ironically moving from around the world to congregate to a house in London. Tucan stressed that the magazines make it seem like they’re all cramped into a tiny house, and insists they all have a very comfortable lifestyle. This being said he did note how nice the tour hotels are, 'so much space!'.

On the topic of touring around the world, Tucan said that, from his experience, crowds around the world have varying mannerisms. He said that the UK always give an outstanding and relatively predicted mannerisms, Germans, he say, are one of the bands’ biggest fan- bases, but they are less rowdy at the gigs. Japanese fans, he says, chat a lot between songs, yet stay completely silent and listen to the melange of sound in awe once the band start playing. You could get a feeling from Tucan’s voice that he truly enjoys this lifestyle and playing his music to the world is what he really loves to do.

While talking to Tucan he noted that band members were literally working on new music in the other room, and stresses that they’re 'sitting on a pile of great stuff'. Superorganism toured the UK from the 15th to the end of October.

Superorganism are currently touring Europe. Tickets are available here.

2nd November 2018 at 5:00 pm

Jordan Hughes