Redbrick catch up with Edgar Wright, Ellen Wong and Mary Winstead

Written by Matthew Davis

Edgar, you have moved out of your comfort zone by working with an entirely new cast and a much bigger canvas. How was that?

Edgar: It was fun! I had about half of my usual crew so it wasn’t a completely different gang and my brother was out there. Working with the cast was a dream because I think they’re such a good ensemble of actors.

Were you tempted to pull in a cameo for the fans?

Edgar: I didn’t want to demean anyone by giving a token cameo.

Ellen and Mary, you get very exciting parts to play. How much of the story did you know before you started and were you pleased with your individual roles?

Ellen: I think my favorite element of the movie was that every role was so funny, especially the female roles. It was exciting to play a role for a female character with that specific ethnicity. I was very impressed. I was thrilled to be in that ensemble, but I didn’t know anything about Knives before I went into the audition. It wasn’t until after the audition that I collected all the books and found out that she was this secret ninja as well. I got really excited and was thinking if I don’t get a chance to do this part, I would just die! Edgar saved my life!

Mary: I agree with that. I wasn’t familiar with the books before Edgar had talked to me about them. The books were so great and the character Ramona was really interesting, unlike any movie dream girl that I had read in a script before. And I was excited to tackle that kind of part, even though it was challenging and daunting.

Ellen, your character makes a transition from this naïve, childish girl into powerful young woman. I was wondering in reality, as this is your first big film, did you develop an emotional attachment to your character Knives?

Ellen: Definitely, going into it with Knives I was really nervous. I didn’t know what to expect, I was going onto a journey with her and my life of filming was paralleling hers. It was cool because I felt like I got to grow up with her. It worked out in a way that the film was shot so the last scenes were the ones where Knives grows, matures and gets to kick but! And by then I had developed a thespian confidence and was comfortable working in that environment.

Edgar, your films aren’t like anything I have seen before, do you think you have created a genre?

Edgar: No. When people ask about that, I think it comes back down to the film being a comedy. When it is eventually in the stores it will be in the comedy section, so I guess it’s a comedy with elements of other genres. It’s the particular mix that’s different really.

Edgar, A main feature of Scott Pilgrim was that of video games, will this style be seen again in your later films?

Edgar: It was specific to this film because the character was governed by this medium. I’m not going to do a period-drama, though that would be kind of cool!