Ella Downing discovers a secret food jewel in Birmingham with her latest review of the Digbeth Dining Club

Second year student at UOB studying JH Political Science and Philosophy, Food, Life&Style, TV, Music and Travel writer.

Every Friday night from 5.30pm, nestled away at Spotlight you will find Digbeth Dining Club. In 2013 it won the Annual British Street Food Event Award, so it puzzles me that few people are aware that it exists.

this place truly is a hidden gem

Our visit was brilliantly niche. The place oozed character; you really did feel like you had stumbled across someone else’s secret and this added to the charm. The Club hosts a range of different street food venders that change slightly every week. We opted for the pulled pork burger from ‘Low n Slow’ and a succulent beef burger from ‘The Flying Cows’ both of which were absolutely delicious, and for £6 apiece, you can’t really go wrong. Alongside these stalls were ‘Canoodle’, ‘Platinum Pancakes’ and ‘The Vegan Grindhouse’, so everyone’s tastes were catered for. Furthermore, all the vendors were very welcoming and friendly. After we had wolfed down our burgers we retired to Spotlight’s bar where the DJ played a whole host of funk and reggae which really added to the charisma of the night.

it’s perfect for students looking for something new

The pricing is very reasonable for the food you receive and my only criticism would be that the bar is fairly pricey, but only in comparison to student bars. It is perfect for anyone that is tired of the same old places and nights out and who want to try something distinctive. Trust me, you won’t be  disappointed!

To look at coming and previous menus, as well as finding out more about the different traders, check out Digbeth Dining Club online at www.digbethdiningclub.co.uk. To be in with a chance of winning free food head to their Facebook and Twitter profiles, www.facebook.com/DigbethDiningClub and @DigbethDiner.