Review: The Cry | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Review: The Cry

TV Critic Ella Krmpotic discusses why viewers are hooked on the BBC's newest mini-series drama, The Cry

When they announced that The Cry, a new BBC One mini-series, would be taking the slot of The Bodyguard (the most watched BBC drama since 2008), it already had high expectations to meet. It did not disappoint the viewers and certainly not the ratings, being one of the most popular new drama launches of the year. This well-made adaptation of Helen Fitzgerald’s original novel has been keeping me, and many others captivated over the last four weeks. It’s a gripping and compelling story of a primary school teacher Joanna (Jenna Coleman) and her boyfriend Alistair who works in PR (Ewen Leslie) whose four-month-old son, at first glance, goes missing.

It did not disappoint the viewers or the ratings, being one of the most popular new drama launches of the year.

The show begins by showing us inside this family’s life. Joanna, being a young mother experiences post-natal depression. Alistair, preoccupied with his job and custody battle with his ex-wife Alexandra (Asher Keddie) over his 10-year-old child Chloe (Markella Kavenagh), barely dedicates his time to Noah. What sets the plot going is the family’s trip to Australia for Alister’s custody battle. When they get there, they rent a car, stop at a gas station to get some necessities leaving Noah in the car, and by the time they return the child mysteriously disappears.

Furthermore, two storylines that are at the center of the show and appear throughout all four episodes, are Joanna’s trial and Joanna’s meeting with the psychologist. Both are so vital for Joanna’s character development, especially the trial in which Joanna shows so much strength and we finally see her able to stand up for herself. Joanna’s courtroom scene was, for me, the best scene in the entire show.

Other things I loved about the show were Joanna’s relationships with both Alexandra and her best friend Kirsty (Sophie Kennedy Clark). It sounds cliché, but the two mothers relate to each other on a level no one else around them could understand, and the two best friends are here for each other through thick and thin, even when no one else is.

The story is told in flashbacks and flashforwards not set in any particular order which makes it hard to follow and sets the pace off in the beginning, trying to connect the dots and set a time frame. Once you get the hang of it, the switching timeline keeps the show more interesting. As soon as you think you’re on the right track something new comes up and gets twists the storyline further. Up until the very end, we don’t know why Joanna is even on trial, despite it being shown throughout all four episodes.

The cast is incredibly talented. Despite the show being a psychological thriller, the actors make you believe it’s a real-life situation they’re going through. One of the best performances was hands down by Jenna Coleman, who portrayed the devastated mother to perfection. You could feel her pain, regret, anger for her son and that makes you feel for her and forgive her even for her immoral actions.

The story really is about motherhood and women regaining their strength, which is what we need today more than ever

You can binge-watch The Cry on BBC iPlayer, and I would highly recommend everyone to give it a shot. Not only do you not have to wait an extra week to find out what happens, but it’s a riveting show that’s so easy to get through, once you start, you won’t be able to stop watching until you find out what happened. Below the surface, the story really is about motherhood and women regaining their strength at it's core,  which is what we need today more than ever.

BBC