Shows We Wish Were On Netflix | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Shows We Wish Were On Netflix

TV Critic Kim Garande discusses why the large library of content on Netflix is not enough, through identifying the shows she wishes were available

Most people can agree that Netflix is home to many amazing shows allowing us to engage in extensive binges of original shows such as Orange is the New Black and Friday Night Dinner, even enabling us to throw it back to Friends and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air if we so desire. However, we cannot neglect the major problem at heart: the shows available on Netflix are simply not enough Despite paying monthly subscription fees I’m sure that many people find themselves needing a supplementary service. Understandably there is a multitude of reasons as to why a show might not be available on Netflix, however, this does not lessen our desperation for other shows, such as the 3 listed below, to be available.

Game of Thrones (2010)

Unsurprisingly this makes it onto this list, with over 60 hours of engaging, political and fantastical drama it’s a real shame that it’s not available on the most popular online streaming service. The ability to go back and indulge in old seasons and appreciate the fact that you now know (most) character’s names would be amazing and a great way to recap and psych yourself up before the final season airs. Most people and their mums watch Game of Thrones, not only for the exquisite production value, remarkable acting and often shocking scenes, but the fact that there are a wide variety of characters, that there’ll always be someone of interest or to relate to regardless of your age (unless you’re under eighteen of course!).

Whilst Netflix may not have all that we require, it is still my first port of call

The Handmaid’s Tale (2017)

Adapted from probably Margaret Atwood’s famous novel, this show has been the subject of much discussion and debate. It is simply spectacular and offers a refreshing, modern day interpretation of the original material, which has led to two magnificent seasons. Unlike other dystopian novels and adaptations, I believe that this one touches people so greatly because the premise, as shocking as it is, is so close to reality. Though it’s scary to think about, the events in the show are not impossible and arguably can be seen in various aspects of modern day life. Not only is the acting great, but the content is relevant, feminist, intriguing and though sometimes difficult to watch... but this all contributes to a phenomenal TV show.

This is Us (2017)

Unfortunately, this one is not about One Direction, but it is a show on the rise that focuses on one family through several years of their lives, as they undergo various trials and tribulations. Many people believe that it is a show best going into knowing as little as possible. I don’t cry at anything, however This is Us somehow managed to activate my tear ducts, so do be warned this show might make you cry - but it will also make you smile too.  With complex, realistic and driven characters who are extremely loveable, this show is currently on its second season, so it’s not too much to add to the Netflix library. Notably, the show has an interesting structure that involves flashbacks in each episode which enables viewers to develop an appreciation and understanding of the various characters too.

It’s unlikely that any of these shows will be making their way onto Netflix any time soon, so I guess we can either suck it up or submit to scrabbling through charity shop baskets (because brand new boxsets can be expensive) in search of quality television series. Whilst Netflix may not have all that we require, it is still my first port of call, and I won’t be canceling my subscription any time soon.

First year English student & peanut butter fanatic.

22nd December 2018 at 9:00 am

21st December 2018 at 2:24 pm

Global Panorama