Single: Ellie Goulding - Something In The Way You Move | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Ellie Goulding – Something In The Way You Move

Abi Farrell takes on the explosive new single from Ellie Goulding.

Ellie Goulding has been keeping her arsenal of social media followers on tenterhooks as of late, treating us all to tantalising updates straight from London’s Abbey Road Studios on the development of her upcoming third album Delirium. Following the unprecedented success of the album’s lead single ‘On My Mind’, the latest promotional instalment is the anthemic track ‘Something In The Way You Move’, which was released on October 9th alongside the album’s pre-orders.

Co-written with Greg Kurstin, famous for his work with Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry and P!nk, ‘Something In The Way You Move’ is an up-tempo electronic-pop track boasting infectious synths, a memorable chorus and an attention-grabbing dance beat. Genre-wise, it wouldn’t be out-of-place on Taylor Swift’s 1989.

On first listen, the opening piano chords and humming bassline reminded me of ‘Shine’ by Years and Years. The opening lyrics ‘It’s the strangest feeling / feeling this way for you / there’s something in the way you move’ emphasise the heartfelt, haunted message behind the track – it documents the demise of a once-idyllic relationship that still remains dangerously desirable. Nevertheless, Goulding’s breathy and crisp vocals complement the backdrop of clean piano chords perfectly, and these elements really cut through the mix to form an impressive verse after the intense drop of the drums alongside ‘With you I’m never healing / there’s heartache through and through’.

The pre-chorus is perhaps one of the song’s strongest features, laden with ambient harmonies yet still punchy and percussive. It showcases both the vulnerable and more aggressive shades of Goulding’s voice. The swells into the choruses are brilliantly produced, and it boasts gorgeous high-pitched vocal embellishments reminiscent of a 1980s Eurythmics hit. 

'Goulding’s breathy and crisp vocals complement the backdrop of clean piano chords perfectly...'

Crucially, though, given the prestige of the track’s highly accomplished creators, its repetition seems somewhat lacklustre. As a self-confessed guilty fanatic of pop songs boasting intense and innovative middle-8s, such as the belting ‘You had your chance / you blew it’ section in Kelly Clarkson’s ‘Since You’ve Been Gone’, I expected a great deal more variation than repetitive ‘ohs’.

Whilst conveying a universal message and achieving earworm catchiness, there is little that is compelling about the song’s theme. The track leaves me craving more of the mysterious appeal of earlier tracks from previous albums Lights and Halcyon, such as the heavy use of harp and more complex vocal harmonies on the haunting ‘Figure 8’.
Nevertheless, whilst it’s clear that there’s been a departure from this repertoire towards pure unadulterated pop, which has perhaps been spearheaded by the commercial success of ‘Love Me Like You Do’, ‘Something In The Way You Move’ sounds a promising klaxon for Ellie’s upcoming third studio album, Delirium, set to be released on 6th November 2015. It’s a well-crafted, expertly produced track which promises to keep Goulding firmly on the road to cataclysmic success well into her 2016 thirty-date European tour.

MA Modern British History student and songwriting enthusiast with a big appetite for new music and upcoming local artists. (@alfarrell94)

MTV