Single Review: Gwen Stefani - Make Me Like You | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Gwen Stefani – Make Me Like You

Gwen Stefani's new release is definitely 'pop ear candy'.

Gwen Stefani has finally blessed the world with yet another delicious slice of pop perfection that is her new single ‘Make Me Like You’. Some fans may regard the sheer happiness and upbeat nature of the track quite surprising considering the events which have unfolded in Stefani’s personal life. However, Gwen’s music ranging from her work with the band No Doubt, to her debut album Love. Angel. Music. Baby. (aka one of the best pop albums of all time), has always contained a particular sense of optimism and idiosyncrasy . It has been almost a decade since Gwen released her second studio album The Sweet Escape, and after initial comeback singles ‘Baby Don’t Lie’ and ‘Spark The Fire’ which failed to catch on with the general public, the self-reflective breakup anthem ‘Used To Love You’ became the first official taste of Gwen’s upcoming third studio album This Is What The Truth Feels Like, which will be the singer’s first release following her divorce.

Like the former, ‘Make Me Like You’ has a polished, somewhat retro production which harks back to funky electro-pop music of the 1980s while also being fresh and as can be expected from Gwen, incredibly catchy. The track features a prominent guitar riff which bubbles into charming synths in the chorus which are reminiscent of Gwen’s 2006 single ‘The Sweet Escape’ and ‘Lovefool’ by The Cardigans. The production by newcomers Mattman & Robin (who most recently produced Selena Gomez’s new single ‘Hands to Myself’) highlights Gwen’s quirky vocals and alluring ad-libs.

While ‘Used To Love You’ details the failure of a longstanding relationship, ‘Make Me Like You’ is all about moving on from the bitter past and unexpectedly finding love. In the opening verse, Stefani declares: 'I was fine before I met you / I was broken but fine / I was lost and uncertain / But my heart was still mine / I was free before I met you / I was broken but free / All alone in the clear view / But now you are all I see'. In the chorus, Stefani sings: 'Why'd you have to go and make me like you? / This is a feeling I’m not used to / I'm so mad at you cause now you got me missing you'.

Following the release of the first two singles from Gwen’s new album, one thing is for sure: the ten year hiatus from her solo career has not stunted her ability to churn out pop ear-candy.

PPCORN