Single Review: Janet Jackson - Dammn Baby | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Janet Jackson – Dammn Baby

Gregory Robinson gives his verdict on Dammn Baby, the latest single from Janet Jackson.

It has been a criminally long time since Janet Jackson released a dance-orientated single. Starting thirty years ago with the release of ‘What Have You Done For Me Lately’, to the socially conscious ‘Rhythm Nation’ and the game changing ‘If’, Janet’s new single ‘Dammn Baby’ is a welcomed return to form.

The track is the third single taken from Janet’s eleventh studio album Unbreakable, and like many of Janet’s career highlights, is produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. ‘Dammn Baby’ combines the best elements of Janet’s musical roots; heavy basslines, light synths and intricate samples while also fusing futuristic electro and contemporary trap elements. Fans will also note that the song features a sample from Janet’s very own single ‘I Get Lonely’ during the breakdown.

Fans can rest assured despite a seven year long break, Janet has not lost her melting pot approach to crafting great pop music...
In the song, Janet discusses starting a new movement through the power of dance, and during the second verse she announces: ‘A brand new movement / that started with a conversation in a café / It's all about love / and how we ain't gonna ever let / words get in the way… let’s keep the conversation going’. It is a familiar theme although one which Janet pulls of very well. On Unbreakable, Janet dives into numerous genres and themes in which many of the songs hark back to Janet’s previous sounds. The first single ‘No Sleeep’ recalled the smooth 90s R&B vibes of ‘That’s The Way Love Goes’, while the title track’s laidback and glossy R&B-Pop fusion can also be heard on ‘All For You’. ‘Dammn Baby’ is no exception.

While ‘Dammn Baby’ never reaches the colossal highs of ‘If’ or the lyrical prowess of ‘Rhythm Nation’ it is a strong song which brings about a sense of nostalgia as well as assurance for Janet’s future singles. Fans can rest assured despite a seven year long break, Janet has not lost her melting pot approach to crafting great pop music.

25th May 2016 at 10:09 am

25th May 2016 at 4:27 pm

Michael Tran