Pouring melodious gold straight from the heart of Dublin, alternative-rock quartet Kodaline have released a taste of what is to come from their album In a Perfect World ; and if the rest of the LP is anywhere near as sublime as ‘High Hopes’, then it is definitely worth the wait until its June release-date. […]

English Literature student, Head of PR & Marketing at Burn FM, winner of the 2002 Our Lady of Muswell Primary School 100% attendance award

Pouring melodious gold straight from the heart of Dublin, alternative-rock quartet Kodaline have released a taste of what is to come from their album In a Perfect World ; and if the rest of the LP is anywhere near as sublime as ‘High Hopes’, then it is definitely worth the wait until its June release-date. The track delves into the dusty corners of the human psyche, where we find ourselves looping in and out of our pasts and how, to quote, “the world keeps spinning around”, despite what happens.

The band boasts an effortless story-telling style, stirring up sombre images whilst keeping us uplifted with sparklingly happy chord progressions.

Harmonious piano progressions unite with a docile acoustic guitar accompaniment which decorates the build up of drums with melodic calibre. The instrumental bridge strikes with a cool blend of electric guitar riffs, layering the track with a rougher edge. The track fades out with haunting background vocals whilst the pinnacle of the sound simmers down, revealing the meeker acoustic guitar compliments, and ending in tranquil simplicity. Ethereal reverberations peek through the song’s softer parts, opening up a world of nostalgia which embellishes the track with an airy quality, crafting the warm tones which the narrative rocks against. Comparing ‘High Hopes’ to their last release ‘All I Want’, it’s clear to see that Kodaline’s lyrics bare the souls of their subjects and paint portraits of lives with complete sincerity.

The band boasts an effortless story-telling style, stirring up sombre images whilst keeping us uplifted with sparklingly happy chord progressions. A touching music video accompanies ‘High Hopes’, and if you don’t well up watching it, you’re either lying to yourself or you need to visit Oz for a heart. This track sets a high bar for the rest of the album, and I have every confidence that Kodaline will exceed our expectations.