Single Review: Lady Leshurr - Queen's Speech 5 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: Lady Leshurr – Queen’s Speech 5

Is the fifth instalment of Lady Leshurr's 'Queen's Speech' her best yet?

Birmingham born Lady Leshurr is making quite a name for herself in the British grime scene. 2015 saw the inevitable rise of grime with acts like Stormzy, Skepta, JME, Chip and our very own Lady Leshurr having huge breakthroughs. But let it not be mistaken, all of the above have been working hard on the down low for years; right now they are taking their moment and running away with it. I first saw Lady Leshurr live as a support act in the smallest room of the infamous Birmingham O2 Academy four years ago, so when her 'Queen Speech 4' went viral towards the latter end of last year it was a pleasant surprise. This is a girl who’s been grinding for a while and now she’s back with her latest instalment of the Queen Speech EP - ‘Queen Speech 5.’

As keen listeners of Lady Leshurr will come to expect, this is a hit full of comical references to popular culture, ranging from internet memes like ‘What are those?’ and ‘Bye Felicia', to Drake, Sean Paul and even her own rendition of Adele’s ‘Hello’ – the track is quite literally littered with hilarious observations of the past year. Of course, the song doesn’t go without her trademark ‘catch.’ We’ve had ‘change your panties’ and ‘brush your teeth.’ This time we get ‘your lips look like crispy bacon.’ Why not? The actual beat itself has remarkable similarities to that of ‘Queen Speech 4’, but who can blame her for wanting to use that success? In the future, I’d hope she moves away to something a little different, but being as this is her only track that bears similarities to any of her others, I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. It’s certainly not a concern of her supporters, with the video racking up over three million views already. With her flow on point and a series of clever lyrics once again, she’s surely on her way to yet another viral smash.

If there is one thing I hate in any genre music, it’s when artists hide their accent. This tends to happen to artists as they reach new heights of popularity, so it’s refreshing to see that despite her recent success, Lady Leshurr is unashamedly Brummie. With a tour on the way and I’m sure new music to follow, it really is hard to escape her at the minute. However, one thing is for sure, no matter how global she gets, Leshurr remains at the forefront of British grime and is proof that Birmingham still has so much to offer to the industry.

23rd January 2016 at 11:00 am

BBC Who's In Today