Single Review: LANY - ILSYB | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: LANY – ILSYB

Beth Moody praises a lighthearted take on unrequited love turned psychotic from alt-pop act LANY

‘ILYSB’ is the perfect introduction to the California-dream, sunset haze sound of LANY, an alternative pop band from Nashville. The unique band, made up of Paul Klein, Les Priest and Jake Gross, released this lead single to their EP Make Out in December 2015, only one year after forming as a band.

LANY’s effortless vibe complements the playful tone of ‘ILYSB’, the title of which is an acronym for ‘I love you so bad’. The song features lighthearted lyrics such as ‘You need to know / That I’m hella obsessed with your face’, immersing the listener into a daydream-like state. The dulcet melody and soft sound of ‘ILYSB’, together with the dreamy vibe, create a sick-in-love theme. Despite the obsessive lyrics, upon first hearing the song there is an impression of young, new, innocent love. However, through his direction of the music video, Klein twists this: he says, “I had an opportunity to flip the script, to beautifully blindside the fan and the critic. I turned ‘ILYSB’ into a tragedy of unhealthy obsession and unrequited love that ultimately led to psychotic behaviour and total derailment.’ In the video Klein frantically rocks and smashes items with a baseball bat as he repeats the line ‘Oh my heart hurts so good / I love you babe so bad.’ The steady beat, tidal synthesiser and minimalistic rhythm is the perfect accompaniment to Klein’s endearing tone and impassioned lyrics. With ‘ILYSB’, LANY prove that sometimes, less definitely is more.

History of Art

Brehm Center