Single Review: The 1975- TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: The 1975- TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME

Amelia Hiller shares her thoughts on the newest single from The 1975, as fans anticipate the band's third studio album

A band as well-known as The 1975 is bound to cause a stir when they release new music, and I believe that the hype surrounding the release of another single from their third album A Brief Enquiry Into Online Relationships has been extremely well-founded.

'TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME' begins with experimental electronic riffs and subsequently launches into Matty Healy’s reflections on an argument between him and a girl, which certainly situates the single into the genre of contemporary pop. Healy ponders over how many times he called another girl, and launches into a defensive tone when exclaiming, ‘I think we need to rewind! / You text that boy sometimes.’ This seems to be a comment on the way that social media can convolute modern romantic relationships, rather than a confession from Healy. In fact, he recently stated in an interview that the lyrics aren’t ‘necessarily all autobiographical’ but instead possibly a contemplation of how easy it can be to ‘two-time’ in the modern age. Behind the upbeat tone, 'TOOTIME' is, in a way, a little saddening. Healy states ‘You wet my eyes / But I don’t mind it’ and alongside this, he guiltily declares ‘I didn’t mean to two-time ya’. When you think about what he’s saying, it’s quite melancholic.

Matty Healy’s reflections on an argument between him and a girl certainly situates the single into the genre of contemporary pop

Admittedly, however, 'TOOTIME’s lyrics are nowhere near as thought-provoking as some before it, and the song undoubtedly presents itself as a complete contrast to the previous release ‘Love It If We Made It’, which airs a multitude of issues surrounding refugees, institutional racism and the relationship between Donald Trump and Kanye West. As a result, 'TOOTIME' is far from a serious and scathing social commentary, but instead epitomises the catchy brand of electronic pop which The 1975 have come to commandeer.

The accompanying video is what makes 'TOOTIME' especially great. It stars Matty Healy alongside a diverse group of fans, lip syncing the lyrics whilst dancing and generally goofing around in front of colour-changing backgrounds. The video really epitomises the upbeat tone of the song, and to me the inclusion of fans is essential to its success as it shows just how much they are valued by the band. Having been teased on Spotify with the use of short video clips before the single’s release, the full music video is now available to view and is certainly worth a watch.

The track epitomises the catchy brand of electronic pop which The 1975 have come to commandeer

The track isn’t my favourite offering from the new album so far but that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a well-deserved hit. Where ‘Love It If We Made It’ was a different sound to ‘Give Yourself a Try’, 'TOOTIME' again presents a completely different vibe, and whilst it may be breezy and upbeat it still manages to leave a listener pondering over the increased influence of social media in everyday relationships. All in all, the new single certainly provides The 1975 fans with something to be excited about ahead of A Brief Enquiry’s November release date.

A Brief Enquiry Into Online Relationships is set to be released in October 2018. UK and Ireland tour dates have been released and tickets are available for pre-order here.

12th September 2018 at 12:00 pm

12th September 2018 at 3:52 pm

Markus Hillgärtner