Single Review: All Time Low - Dirty Laundry | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Single Review: All Time Low – Dirty Laundry

Emma Ramsbottom listens to a change in sound from All Time Low

American pop-rock 4 piece All Time Low have been pretty quiet since the release of their previous album Future Hearts in 2015. The announcement of their new single ‘Dirty Laundry’ came as somewhat of a surprise, along with the announcement that they had left their long-term record label Hopeless Records and signed to Fueled by Ramen. The new single reflects these changes, with All Time Low displaying a brand new sound that is distinctly different from previous songs.

'Dirty Laundry' starts slow, with a dark, somber sound, heavily featuring around electronics. This vibe continues throughout most of the song, only reaching a climax near its end when the sound of guitars and drums become more prominent. Alex Gaskarth’s distinct vocals start soft and muted, becoming more raw and powerful towards the end of the song. There’s no doubt that this is still a pop-rock song, however it has been smoothly blended with electronic sounds that distinguish it from All Time Low’s previous releases. The lyrics of 'Dirty Laundry' encapsulate a past relationship and its ups and downs, revolving heavily around the idea of not wanting to leave the past behind in order to pursue something new; an idea that reflects All Time Low’s own journey of leaving their long-term record label in order to grow and evolve as a band.

It is clear from ‘Dirty Laundry’ that All Time Low are heading in a new direction in terms of their sound. To long-term fans, ‘Dirty Laundry’ lacks familiarity; however, this may not be a negative thing. There’s only so long All Time Low can maintain their early 2000’s pop punk sound before it becomes outdated and repetitive. It’s somewhat refreshing to hear something ‘new’ from All Time Low, and this single has left me feeling excited for what’s to come for the band. All Time Low’s upcoming album Last Young Renegade is set for release on the 2nd June.

First year Business Management Student (@oceandxst)