Sony Announces PlayStation Classic | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Sony Announces PlayStation Classic

Bundled with Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3 and 18 other games, the system launches for £89.99 on December 3rd

Almost 25 years on from the revolutionary debut of the PlayStation, Sony has announced its return in the form of the PlayStation Classic, a bite-sized replica of the iconic console.

Similar to Nintendo's Classic Edition series, the PlayStation Classic comes preloaded with a total of 20 'genre-defining' games. Final Fantasy VIITekken 3, Wild Arms, Jumping Flash and Ridge Racer Type 4 are amongst the titles currently announced for the device, with more still to come. Each system comes with a HDMI cable and two original PlayStation controllers for use with games supporting local multiplayer. Nostalgia looks to be a large part of the console's appeal, with Sony confirming it 'emulates the original’s look and feel by featuring the same controllers and similar packaging'.

With a full list of games included absent from the announcement, fans have been speculating which titles might come bundled with the miniature system. Metal Gear Solid and Ape Escape, as well as the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon trilogies, are some of the most popular requests. Indeed whether the Crash and Spyro trilogies will make the jump has already been met with scepticism. While both were undeniably iconic characters during the PlayStation era, they have also recently received the remastered treatment on modern consoles, bringing into question whether they'll make an appearance on the Classic.

Furthermore unlike Nintendo, a lot of Sony's defining PlayStation games are owned by third parties. Games such as Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Resident Evil 2 will forever be tied to the console, yet neither are owned specifically by Sony and have since seen releases on other platforms. It will be interesting to learn which games Sony can secure for this celebration of their first game console. Certainly we will learn more throughout the coming months.

The compact console will release December 3rd, retailing for £89.99.

First Year English and Drama student, conquering one game at a time in between! (@samjnason)

21st September 2018 at 9:00 am

PlayStation