Subway promotes itself as the “healthy” fast food restaurant, but it is not much healthier than McDonald’s researchers found A study was conducted in America to compare the two biggest fast food chains in the world: Subway and McDonald’s. The study was published on May 6 in the Journal of Adolescent Health and it was found […]

Written by Gemma Bridge

Subway promotes itself as the “healthy” fast food restaurant, but it is not much healthier than McDonald’s researchers found

A study was conducted in America to compare the two biggest fast food chains in the world: Subway and McDonald’s.

s and m

The study was published on May 6 in the Journal of Adolescent Health and it was found that Subway meals contained nearly as many calories as those from McDonald’s despite Subway being branded as ‘healthy’.

It was concluded that if eaten regularly, meals from both restaurants would likely contribute toward overeating and obesity, and in the comparison study, researchers found that the average McDonald’s meal contains 1,038 calories compared to meals from Subway which contain an average of 955 calories. Neither is exactly a healthy meal choice, considering that The Institute of Medicine recommends that a healthy lunch (for the average person) should not exceed 850 calories.

veg

Although Subway sandwiches are often thought of as much healthier than those from McDonald’s  it was found that the Subway sandwich actually contains more calories than the McDonald’s equivalent with a Subway sandwich averaging at 784 calories whereas those from McDonald’s average at 572 calories.

meal

On the positive side Subway meals were found to contain more protein (at an average of 41g) than those from McDonald’s (at an average of 32g). This is a good thing as protein is associated with feeling full, and keeping full between meals. However as much of the protein in Subway meals is processed it is also very high in salt.

ham

As a result the average Subway meals sodium content is almost 3x the recommended level at 2,149 mg which is much higher than the average McDonald’s meal which had a sodium content of 1,829 mg.

salt

So there is no need to stop going to Subway, or McDonald’s, however just limit your intake, and don’t go everyday!