Food writer Sahar Jamfar shares two of her favourite thanksgiving-inspired recipes

Written by Sahar Jamfar
Sahar's in her third and final year of Policy, Politics and Economics. In her spare time, she likes to cook, dance and watch Ru Paul's Drag Race. Her primary interests are feminism, gay rights and Iran.
Images by Cord Cutters News

Here are two of our favourite thanksgiving recipes!

Turkey Burgers

Turkey burgers are great to make for and after thanksgiving, especially since you can use all of the leftovers to make them!

Makes 6 burgers

Ingredients:

• Oil for cooking
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 crushed garlic cloves
  • 85g porridge oats
  • 450g minced turkey
  • 100g chopped dried apricot
  • 1 grated carrot
  • 1 beaten egg
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Burger buns and salad to serve

Method:

1. Heat oil in pan and cook onion until soft. Add garlic and oats for 2 more minutes. Once fried, tip into a bowl and set aside.
  1. Add the rest of the ingredients in the bowl and mix. Season with salt, pepper and anything else you have then shape into 6 patties.
  1. You can either fry, grill or oven bake the burgers. To fry, heat oil in a pan and cook the patties until they are cooked through. To grill, simply line a baking tray with foil and place under the grill, making sure to flip the patties every few minutes. To oven bake, first sear the patties in a frying pan then place in oven at 200C/gas mark 6 for 10-15 minutes.
  1. Once the patties are cooked, prep burger buns and salad. Place a patty in each bun and add a tablespoon of cranberry sauce. Accompany the burgers with anything you want but sweet potato fries are the recommended choice!

American chocolate cookies

Another wonderful thanksgiving recipe! Make these for dessert, or to snack on throughout the day to keep you in the festive spirit.

Makes 12 big cookies

Ingredients:

• 300g chopped dark chocolate
  • 100g chopped milk chocolate
  • 100g light muscovado sugar
  • 85g butter at room temperature
  • 100g crunchy peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 100g self-raising flour
  • 100g large salted roasted peanuts

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4.
  1. Melt 100g of the dark chocolate and add the sugar, butter, peanut butter, egg and vanilla extract until it’s all mixed. Stir in the flour, milk chocolate, nuts and 100g dark chocolate until a soft mixture is made
  1. Drop big spoonfuls onto baking sheets and leave enough room in-between each cookie to spread. Stick the remaining dark chocolate chunks into the cookies.
  2. Bake for 10-12 minutes and make sure they are soft in the middle but darker around the edges. Let them cool and firm up then enjoy