The Best TV Shows to Binge with your New Flatmates | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Best TV Shows to Binge with your New Flatmates

TV Editors Morgana Chess, Jessica Green and Niamh Brennan take us through their favourite TV shows to bond over with your new flatmates

The true-crime documentary Evil Genius is a university staple that allows flatmates to puzzle out the crime together
Morgana's picks...

Netflix: Evil Genius

Nothing says flatmate bonding like a murder documentary. Subtitled ‘The true story of America’s most diabolical bank heist’, Netflix’s Evil Genius is an excellent choice for those first few weeks of getting to know each other. The true-crime documentary is a university staple that allows flatmates to puzzle out the crime together, grab each other for support during dramatic plot twists, and also often leads to interesting intellectual discussions. Evil Genius will hook viewers in the first episode with a pizza delivery driver and the bomb that’s strapped around his neck.

Best enjoyed: following a communal flat dinner with a cuppa tea in hand.

Netflix: Gavin and Stacey

New flatmates can also be united through enjoying old classics and there is nothing quite so classic as Gavin and Stacey. This well-loved tv show that pokes fun at the differences between the English and Welsh has stood the test of time and I’ll tell you for why. We’ll never get bored of Nessa’s attitude, Smithy’s takeaway orders, Bryn’s awe at technology, or the married squabbling of Dawn and Pete. Every character is charming and the script is hilarious - a perfect uni watch.

Best enjoyed: the morning after a Fab ‘n’ Fresh, with blankets and lots of snacks.

Jessica's picks...

Netflix: The Good Place

Whether you and your new flatmates are simply in it for the comedy, or are in fact after an existential debate about death itself, then The Good Place is the show for you. The first season follows Eleanor Shellstrop, who after being selfish and self-absorbed during her time on Earth, mistakenly gets put in The Good Place to live out a paradisal afterlife. You’ll find yourselves marvelling together at just how genius the show is, from its incredibly witty one-liners to the automatic replacement of residents’ curse words with phrases deemed more acceptable. So what the fork are you waiting for?

Best enjoyed: Unhindered by a hangover, so you can keep up with the fast pace and quick quips.

your entire flat will be sobbing together over each unfortunate breakup and every untimely death in Downton Abbey
Amazon Prime: Downton Abbey

If you can decide as a flat that you are ready to embark on a six series journey of tears, heartache, and even more heartache, then it’s time you started watching Downton Abbey together. The show follows the scandalous lives of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servants in the early 1900s. You may have thought of Downton as just that boring period drama your Nan used to watch on Sunday evenings, but I can guarantee that your entire flat will be sobbing together over each unfortunate breakup and every untimely death. Is there really any better way to bond?

Best enjoyed: with endless cups of English Breakfast tea, because that’s how the Crawleys would have done it.

Niamh's picks...

BBC / Netflix: Happy Valley

If the friendships in your flat can make it through Happy Valley, they can make it through anything. Once you resist solo binge-watching the entire series in one evening whilst the rest of your flat sleeps, the crime drama will have everyone sat around arguing about ‘whodunnit’, trying to prove the superiority of their detective skills.  You really will want to solve the crime -  the down to earth intensity of emotion that flows through Sarah Lancashire’s performance as Seargent Cadwell will have you so emotionally invested that you’ll feel like it’s your duty to help her along the way.

Best enjoyed: With pen and paper in hand ready to gather clues of your own.

Thousands of people came together to save Brooklyn Nine-Nine from cancellation so you and your flat could enjoy it
Netflix: Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Brooklyn Nine-Nine will help any and every flat come together even if it’s only to agree on one thing: it really is THAT good. When you watch the relationship between Boyle and Peralta you will want one of your own, and the companionship of the 99th precinct will be the envy of every flat. Thousands of people came together to save Brooklyn Nine-Nine from cancellation so you and your flat could enjoy it. There’s something for everyone, with each character bringing a different type of humour to the show. From Holt’s deadpan satire to the farce of Hitchcock and Scully’s disgusting presentation, you can trust in the Nine-Nine to lift the mood and leave no one bored.

Best enjoyed: Anywhere, anytime. NINE NINE.

Flickr