The Reinvented Cycling Shorts | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Reinvented Cycling Shorts

Life&Style Writer Elizabeth Wilson takes a look at how cycling shorts have transformed from a sportswear staple to the hottest new thing

Cycling shorts aren’t just for the keen rider anymore; the skin-tight trend popularised by the likes of Kylie Jenner and Bella Hadid now dons centre-stage at Milan fashion week.

First seen on Princess Diana two decades ago in 1995, this sports item came back to the fore-front of style this summer when Kim Kardashian-West was seen sporting the Yeezy brand bottoms.

It’s clear that these Lycra tights aren’t just for wind resistance anymore, but should this trend be here to stay?

Since then, with the rise of Instagram influencer culture, this athletic attire has been inescapably spattered over our feeds.

Boohoo boss Carol Kane was shocked by the up and coming cycling shorts trend, something she hoped ‘would never re-emerge.’ However, similar fast fashion sites like PrettyLittleThing have reported a 50% jump in sales for the item from March to September since this trend came about.

While they may not be everyone’s cup of tea, these versatile shorts seem like a no-brainer

Cycling shorts are even appearing high fashion runways like Prada and Fendi. Burberry recently even cashed in on the craze, releasing their own £230 pair that are selling so well the brand is battling to keep up with demand.

While they may not be everyone’s cup of tea, these versatile shorts seem like a no-brainer. Dressed up with a shirt and some heels you can wear these to a fancy cocktail night; dressed down with an oversized tee and scrunchie, you can wear these for some hangover chic.

It seems there’s a clear reason why your favourite style icons love these shorts, style plus comfort is a clear winner for the modern woman. If we can look good and still be free enough to cycle, then why not?

(@lxzziegirl)

Peter Kudlacz