Comment Editor Amelia Hiller explains why she wont stop watching the third season of Riverdale, even as it takes off in a bizarre direction

Written by Amelia Hiller
Images by BagoGames

I’ve been religiously watching Riverdale since it was first released on Netflix. One Thursday evening I logged into Netflix and navigated straight to Season 3 Episode 1 after a long day at university. With every episode I think Riverdale has cast itself further and further into the American ‘teen drama’ category, but no matter how overdramatic and far-fetched the TV series gets, it’ll still be a firm favourite of mine. I’ve got to say though, the first episode of this season did make me temporarily question why I’m still watching this show, as it unexpectedly dabbled in the supernatural in the final two minutes. It was completely random, and I’m still not sure it’s going to work for me. Although I guess the reason I’m still watching is that, like so many ridiculously over dramatic teen Netflix shows, it’s just too addictive to stop.

The first episode of this season did make me temporarily question why I’m still watching this show

For the first forty minutes, everything was great. Well, as great as things can be for a boy on trial for murder, a Serpent recovering from an attempt on his life, and two girls with murderous fathers. It was a classic episode of Riverdale which unravelled several plot holes and cliff-hangers which remained from the end of last season, specifically the court scene which leads KJ Apa’s character, Archie Andrews, to plead guilty to murder and be presented with a reduced sentence in juvenile prison. Though a little ridiculous (because I certainly wouldn’t plead guilty to a crime that I didn’t commit, and it seems strange that the righteous Archie Andrews would either), I think everyone had a feeling this was going to happen. After all, the high-school teens never really have much luck with law and order.

In addition to this, we finally see Ronnie cut ties with her malicious and criminal father, Hiram, who set Archie up for murder as she chose to prioritise her boyfriend over her own blood. Quite a lot of action was packed into forty minutes, and by the end I was waiting to see what cliffhanger would keep me on hold ready for Episode 2.

The final minutes of the episode just didn’t fit in with Riverdale’s genre

As the episode drew to a close, the fate of characters Betty and Jughead spoilt what was, for me, a perfectly satisfactory start to what is bound to be a drama-filled series ahead. As Archie drove out of ‘The Town With Pep’ in a minibus headed for his youth detention, things took an extremely uncharacteristic supernatural turn. Riverdale may have made me jump before, but not because babies were being dropped into fires and then floating mid-air before being engulfed in flames, nor because of seeing ‘the Gargoyle King’s’ two new victims stripped to their underwear and foaming at the mouth. The final minutes of the episode just didn’t fit in with Riverdale’s genre, and it felt like they were slotted in at the end without any proper context.

After watching Episode 2, these events are clarified slightly. However, I’m still confused about the show’s odd employment of supernatural elements. Whilst I appreciate the need for new and exciting plot lines, the way these were introduced seemed out of touch with what I’d expect from the show. Despite this uncertainty, Riverdale’s third series is already anticipated to be a major success, and I know that I’ll definitely still be watching for the foreseeable future.