5. Andrex – 1992 This advert isn’t too well known amongst our generation as it was aired around the time that most of us were born but it is still a favourite of mine. Like many other girls, I’m a sucker for puppies and puppies in the snow are even cuter. This advert consists of a […]

Written by Emily Hickey-Mason

5. Andrex – 1992

This advert isn’t too well known amongst our generation as it was aired around the time that most of us were born but it is still a favourite of mine. Like many other girls, I’m a sucker for puppies and puppies in the snow are even cuter. This advert consists of a young Labrador puppy chasing around an Andrex loo roll through the snow, flicking up snow with his nose and slipping around on an iced lake. “So here it is, Merry Christmas” is the song playing along to the puppy’s adorable antics as well as a duck screeching “IT’S CHRISTMAAAAAAS!” The saying “A puppy isn’t just for Christmas, it’s for life” is the caption at the end, suggesting the long, lasting length of the loo roll and of course, the importance of looking after the endearing puppy that is slipping and sliding around in the background. The jovial ambience of the advert is what makes it such good and uplifting Christmas advert.

4)    Yellow Pages – 1992

This is an advert of my early childhood and I’m sure of many others’ also. It entwines the notions of romance and festivity together to create a touching and endearing scene. The little girl is stood with her eyes shut, holding mistletoe over her head waiting to be kissed. Typically, at the age of the two children, boys are awkwardly still shorter than girls – this makes it very difficult for the little boy who desperately wants to reach up and kiss her. He grabs the Yellow Pages book and stands on it before triumphantly kissing her on the lips. It’s a gorgeous advert that will always be a classic.

3)    Kellogg’s 1991

This beautiful advert is not a particularly famous one anymore due to the fact that it came out in 1991; this is a shame as it is a heart melting and divine Christmas advert. The youngest little girl who encounters the real Father Christmas for the first time is beyond delightful and probably what originally made the advert so popular. I am so encapsulated by this little actress who so sweetly engages in silent communication with Father Christmas, that I would most definitely buy Kellogg’s cornflakes just to try and recreate this charming moment. It delivers the magic of Christmas to its viewers perfectly.

2)    Coca Cola Trucks

The first sign that Christmas is upon us. Every year, no matter who I am with, as soon as the Coca Cola Christmas advert comes onto the screen, everyone erupts with “CHRISTMAS IS HERE!” Although it comes out (in my opinion) far too early in the year, it is still wonderfully atmospheric and fills me with a warm, fuzzy feeling. Seeing the magnanimous, jolly face of Father Christmas on the side of the bright red lorries never fails to excite me and along with the infamous “Holidays are coming, holidays are coming” song, I cannot help but get into the festive spirit. This is an all time classic advert and was the accompaniment of my childhood Christmas’.

1)    John Lewis – 2011

Although it may seem cliché due to its huge popularity last crimbo season, this advert is undoubtedly the best Christmas advert of all time. The beautiful camera shots of the ice cold outdoors and the juxtaposing toasty, festive looking indoors provokes a lot of nostalgia of everyone’s own childhood Christmas experiences. The feeling of anticipation the little boy has for the big day is almost tangible through the ticking clocks and his huffing and puffing. This, along with the sentiment behind the advert, is so festive and so lovely you can’t help but feel your heart warm and your face transform into a very doting and soppy expression; especially when the very badly wrapped gift is presented by the little boy with the proudest of grins. The incredible adorableness of this little actor along with the beautiful Slow Moving Millie soundtrack, is what makes the advert so memorable and touching.