Writer Alice Sheppard takes a cinematic stroll all the way back to 2004.

Written by Redbrick Film

Do you ever have that moment – now that we’re getting older – where you look at the back of the DVD cover and go “JEEZ I can’t believe it’s been ten years since that film came out?!”: because saying “that was years ago!” when you were 12 was never really legit was it? And because we’re not THAT old (yet), it seems crazy to think that we were only kids when these classic films came out and how our understanding and appreciation of these films has developed whilst growing older. Well making you feel old is exactly what I’m about to do, because I’m going to take you through some of those films that you cannot believe are ten years old this year. But equally I’m going to evoke a nostalgia fest of good memories associated with ten top-notch movies of 2004…

Troy-Film

TROY

Has it really been a decade since Brad wooed us with his luscious golden locks and bad boy attitude? Myth has it that the siege of Troy itself lasted ten years despite director Wolfgang Petersen’s portrayal lasting only a few days. If only the drudgery of Achilles’ had lasted a decade since the film’s release as chances are that he’d still be melting hearts and kicking butt today

meangirls

MEAN GIRLS

Has it really has been that long since Regina George’s face smelled like a foot and Kevin G serenaded us on the bathroom floor and I’m pretty sure that we’re all still predicting the weather with our own body parts as a result of its awesomeness. But we can still thank it for teaching us to always be true to ourselves and that dressing up as a vampire bride is way cooler than a mouse costume.

anchorman4112012

ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY

San Diego and Ron Burgundy have been classy for a very long time! It made us want to play the jazz flute and see how bad ‘Black Panther’ really smelt. We can’t deny that 60% of the time, we love Anchorman every time!

eeeerrr

THE NOTEBOOK

And if Noah had continued to write her a letter a day since this film came out, he’d have written nearly 3,650 letters by now! One of the more heart-wrenching (and warming!) films on this list, it gives us that much-needed reality to check to remind us to appreciate the ones we hold dearest to us, for we never know when they’ll be gone for good.

white_chicks_one_620x348

WHITE CHICKS

‘Easy white chocolate, I wouldn’t want you to melt.” and ever since we’ve been head-shaking to ‘A Thousand Miles’ whilst thinking of Latrell! The girls are still having BF’S and we’re still laughing our heads off!

shaun-of-the-dead-trio

SHAUN OF THE DEAD

10 years later and we’re still in the Winchester, having a nice cold pint, and waiting for all of this zombie commotion to blow over. The first and arguably the best Pegg and Frost film going! Cause how can you beat a zombie fight scene to ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’?

incredibles-2-brad-bird

THE INCREDIBLES

Have Bob and the fam have been keeping our streets safe for all this time?! One of the coolest family’s out there, but despite their best efforts, red tights will never be wardrobe staple, sorry guys.

Saw-Cary-Elwes-640x359

SAW

A solid decade of nightmares and I’m sorry to say that if the horrors were finally fading away, then hold onto your knickers as the film is actually being theatrically re-released this Halloween in honour of its 10 year anniversary! Oh dear…

Harry-PotterPrison_2556388b

HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

Because most book worm’s and film buffs can remember how old they were and where they were with each Harry Potter movie. Azkaban was my personal fave and hope it brings back some sweet memories to all Potter fans out there.

Maggie-million-dollar-baby-18619068-560-330

MILLION DOLLAR BABY

This last one plucks at the heart-strings alright! The controversial but ultimately moving film is probably best watched in the midst of all these other films so as to not end your 2004 marathon on a sad note!

Alice Sheppard