5. Heston’s Fantastical Food Heston Blumenthal is undoubtedly one of the most creative chefs out there. This show sees him experimenting with science and creating life size foods, including an enormous Christmas pudding crossed with an igloo, made using a cement mixer! The chefs that work in the Fat Duck must have a whale of […]

Written by Katie Bowyer

5. Heston’s Fantastical Food

Heston Blumenthal is undoubtedly one of the most creative chefs out there. This show sees him experimenting with science and creating life size foods, including an enormous Christmas pudding crossed with an igloo, made using a cement mixer! The chefs that work in the Fat Duck must have a whale of a time cooking up some of Heston’s bizarre dishes for what I can only call, brave customers. We do occasionally see him make some more normal dishes, still with a twist, such as his triple cooked chips that can make anyone’s stomach rumble. If you are looking for the ‘wow’ factor, this show is a must watch.

the man himself
the man himself

4. Ready Steady Cook

While it was a close call for me at number 4 between this and Come Dine With Me, I had to choose one and I surrendered to this 90s classic. This old gem saw two contestants, labelled green pepper and red tomato, paired with a celebrity chef. They proceeded to battle it out in 20 minutes to create the best dish possible with around 5 ingredients. Everyone has to agree that the best part about this show was the voting at the end. For some reason, watching the audience hold up big pictures of fruit and veg was great viewing (I was a child at the time!) as you try and guess who you think has won.

3. Masterchef: The Professionals

Variants of this show have been on our screens for years now and the professional version is definitely my favourite. It is refreshing to see a ‘talent show’ where everyone can actually perform decently to an extent. Whilst on I’m a Celebrity it is thoroughly entertaining to watch people eat nasty food, with a real cooking show I want great food mixed in with the odd disaster to spice things up. While the rounds do go on for ages (I skip a lot of them), the final week of the latest series was brilliant. The week involved the finalists cooking hundreds of dishes for restaurants (including the Fat Duck) and presenting their dishes to Michelin star chefs from around the world. The only disappointment of the entire series was that it ended in a tie, oh and watching Gregg Wallace chomp through mouthfuls of food isn’t too pleasant viewing either.

masterchef image

2. Nigel Slater’s Simple Cooking

While not many people will have heard of Nigel’s show to the extent of the likes of Jamie, Gordon and Heston, you should tune in. On this show we see Nigel in his own (very swanky!) kitchen cooking up some very homely dishes. His recipes are perfect for students and although I am not much of a cook, I’m pretty sure I could make a half decent attempt at his concoctions. Nigel Slater is all about easy to make home comforts and we often see him incorporating food that is ‘on the turn’ so it’s great if you are on a budget. I wouldn’t suggest this show if you are looking for the shock factor but if you fancy a relaxing evening in, drooling over your TV, then go for it!

1.     The Great British Bake Off

In all of the time I’ve watched this show (only since the latest series), I have rarely come across someone who does not love it! Presented by comedy duo Sue and Mel (who, I have to say, have a staggering back catalogue of tragic yet genius puns) we see contestants fight it to the death with pastry and all things stodge. Each week there is a different theme, each involving a selection of challenges. A favourite of mine involved baking and building gingerbread structures. This resulted in a Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, Colosseum, bird house and the winner which was…drum roll please…a derelict barn. Amazing! If this hasn’t tempted you, let me mention that Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood are a delightful pairing and have made the phrase ‘soggy bottom’ a normal thing to say. I absolutely love this show and personally cannot wait for the Great Comic Relief Bake Off to take over our screens.

the great british bake off image