Top 5: Witches | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Top 5: Witches

Alice Sheppard picks cinema's Top 5 Best Witches.

Sanderson Sisters5.THE SANDERSON SISTERS - HOCUS POCUS (1993)

The inseparable sisterly trio have been putting a spell on us for 21 years now! They are out to regain their youth from the children of Salem so make sure to hide yo’ kids and hide yo’ wife this Halloween! This film taught us that our trick or treating will never quite match up to America’s lavish celebrations whilst it equally taught us where Sarah Jessica Parker gained her witchy look from! These witches specialise in flying on inanimate objects such as vacuums and mops, to magical curses via their beloved spell book.

Sabrina

4. SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH (1996 - 2003)

Our loveable blonde-bombshell that is Sabrina Spellman. Ok so she’s technically a half witch and she’s not really a baddy, but for seven seasons (and three films) she bewitched us with her witty nature and ability to wiggle her way out of any sticky situation. Unlike the others - who teach us that crime never pays off - Sabrina taught us day-to-day morals which I feel makes her an essential part of this list. She specialises in teaching values such as not to take your crazy Aunts for granted and that being true to yourself is what counts.

Grand high

3. THE GRAND HIGH WITCH - THE WITCHES (1990) 

The leader of a cult of children-hating old hags, Eva Ernst and her army of witches injected a whole load of fear into the children of 1990! The Roald Dahl film spared us no mercy when presenting us with this hunched-back, sagging and overall terrifying figure of a Witch! She specialises in turning children into mice and firing laser beams from her eyes; a little high maintenance but hey, being an evil dictator is not as easy as it looks...

Bella

2. BELLATRIX LESTRANGE - HARRY POTTER SERIES (2007 - 2011)  

Belletrix Lestrange (Harry Potter: 2007-2011) – This full-blooded loon of a Witch is one of Lord Voldermort’s most loyal – and evil - followers. After escaping from Azkaban she manages to cause havoc with some of our favourite potter characters and generally scares the living daylights out of us with her creepy and sadistic personality disorder. Her dilapidated appearance suggests that she was once a glamorous witch, yet today’s look suggest a severe lack of anti-frizz shampoo within her life. She specialises in dark curses (going through them at the same rate as toilet roll) and shrieking...very loudly...

Wicked_witch

1. THE WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST - THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) 

“I’ll get you my pretty, and your little dog too!” Our number one Witch: a lady with a foot fetish and a green complexion, who’d have thought it?! We love her for her infamous cackle and inability to take a shower without melting, and thus she is the most iconic of them all. She specialises in smoky entrances and training flying monkeys to obey her every command. And how can we forget that she and her arch-enemy Glinda inspired the musical spin-off – ‘Wicked’ and for that, we are forever grateful Ms Westie.

Alice Sheppard

31st October 2014 at 10:29 am