Top Picks: The Warehouse Project 2018 Line-up | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Top Picks: The Warehouse Project 2018 Line-up

With so many Warehouse Project events to chose from, Deputy Editor Issy Campbell gives you a low down of the ones not to miss

The Warehouse Project has long been at the heart of Manchester’s nightlife. However, over the years The Warehouse Project has grown out of being something confined to the people of Manchester, and become a spectacle for the whole the nation. With 12 weeks of events, there is plenty of choice, so here are my top picks of the 2018 Season:

September:

'Welcome To The Warehouse' - 22nd September

Kicking off the season is the annual ‘Welcome to the Warehouse’ party. Names such Seth Troxler, Peggy Gou and Mall Grab, will be sure to lure in a huge crowd. Whilst the line-up boasts some of the biggest and most current DJs in dance music, this isn’t my favourite line-up. If you are limited to the amount of WHP events you can attend, I’d give this a miss. Compared to other names on the 2018 line-up, these headlines it may be easier to catch another time. But, this is a line-up that will not disappoint and it’s a great way to start The WHP season.

This is a line-up that will not disappoint and it’s a great way to start The WHP season

'25 Years of Essential Mix' - 28th September

This is another line-up with some of the biggest names in the industry. Hosting the likes of The Martinez Brothers, Artwork, Jasper James as well as a Jackmaster & Eats Everything ’93 special, there isn’t much not to like. Although, both Jackmaster and Eats Everything are playing other events that arguably have better line-ups.

October:

'Four Tet and Friends' - 6th October

October provides a huge mix of music and events, but this one is a standout. Four Tet’s close friend and fellow DJ Jamie XX did a similar event last year, and by the look of the line-up its going to be just as impressive. Four Tet is bringing us names like Josey Rebelle, Flava D as well as a b2b with Ben UFO and himself.

'Ross From Friends' - 3rd October

A little different from the usual big WHP events, is the more intimate Ross From Friends gig hosted at Gorillia. With his debut album coming later this month, Ross From Friends should definitely be on your ‘ones to watch’ list. His style harks back to the early rave scene in the UK, whilst seamlessly weaving in the new sounds of 2018 dance music. The Essex born producer has been described as bringing emotion to his records, show casing what dance music can mean to people. It might not be a big ‘show stopper’ like the others, but this producers crazy talent and his soaring popularity, means it is not one to miss.

'Metropolis' - 5th October

However, if you’re looking for something a bit heavier  than the above line-ups, then look no further than the famous ‘Metropolis’ party.

'Metropolis' is the event to go to if you miss those big Rainbow dnb raves.
This is perfect mix of acts for every bassline lover out there. With drum and base legend Andy C headlining, alongside Redlight, Toddla T, Nosia and Hype and Hazard, this is the event to go to if you miss those big Rainbow dnb raves.

'Curated by Daniel Avery' - 20th October

‘Curated by Daniel Avery’ is a very notable line-up for anyone interested in that more unique trance-like electronic-techno sound. With the likes of Daphni, Marcel Dettmen, Call Super and Avery himself, these likeminded DJs will host a night far different to any other WHP.

November:

'Outlier' - 3rd November

The Warehouse Project also hosts their ‘special edition’ events hosted at the new venue of Mayfield depot. This year these include Bugzy Malone, Bonobo, Fever Ray and Bicep (live). For me, Bonobo’s special, 'Outlier' is the absolute must-go-to of the bunch, if not the whole season. Not only will there be an incredible DJ set from Bonobo himself, but also Giles Peterson and Palms Trax and a live set from Geroge Fitzgerald. They will, alongside the rest of the bill, create a flawless blend of electronic music with enough of a beat to perfectly complement one another.

a flawless blend of electronic music with enough of a beat to perfectly complement one another

'Sulta Selects' - 23rd November

The WHP always seem to know exactly what people want to hear, and this is one of those events. Denis Sulta has erupted over the techno scene in recent years, becoming popular for his fusion of disco tracks and distinct techno beat. His line-up will boast fellow disco loving DJs like Midland, whilst Celeste offers a more striking electro beat. With techno-disco becoming one of the most popular strands of dance music today, this is definitely going to be a popular event.

'Paradise' - 24th November

This is the line-up of techno lovers dreams. Jamie Jones, Alan Fitzpatrick b2b Richy Ahmed, Patrick Topping, KiNK (live), make up some of this classic Paradise bill and work perfectly together. The WHP's 'Paradise' has been a popular party since it first started, and this year will be exception. It is the most expensive event of the season, but the fact its almost likely to be the first one to sell out speaks for itself.  'Paradise' is the perfect way to feel like you're in Ibiza sun instead of the bleak British November.

December: 

'Mastermix' presented by Jackmaster & Numbers - 7th December

The last third of the season doesn’t disappoint either, and this is one of my favourites of the whole season. The event is bringing huge together to showcase some of the most talented DJs the world has to offer. Omar-S is a standout for me, his raw yet playful sound sets him in his own unique category of DJ. Topping the bill is Robert Hood, who’s soulful roots blend into his electronic beats to create a funky sound that will get everyone moving.

Topping the bill is Robert Hood, who’s soulful roots blend into his electronic beats to create a funky sound that will get everyone moving

'All Night Long' - 14th December

Presented by WHP and Kuluki, this is set to be a very special event. 'All Night Long' brings us 3 names for the whole evening, Joseph Capirati, Eats Everything and Skream. This is what The WHP is all about, letting the DJs take over. With all night sets from 3 iconic names, this has to be in my top picks for the season. Sometimes the simplicity of fewer DJs works far better than loaded line-ups.

Names are yet to be announced for the New Year’s Eve and New Years Day line-up, but you can expect to see in 2019 massively if you land yourself a ticket.

For all the line-ups check out the WHP’s 2018 season calendar here. General release goes on sale tomorrow 9am here. Here’s to another year of The Warehouse Project!

Music music music and other stuff (@issycampbell)

26th July 2018 at 4:00 pm

26th July 2018 at 4:11 pm

Gary Brown