With the release of Rango this week, we look back at some of our all time favourite animated animals. 10 Abu, Aladdin After watching Aladdin, everyone wants a monkey. Failing that, a best friend like Abu will suffice. Caring, always on your side and sussing evil sorcerers on your behalf, the little monkey with the sharp […]

With the release of Rango this week, we look back at some of our all time favourite animated animals.

10 Abu, Aladdin

After watching Aladdin, everyone wants a monkey. Failing that, a best friend like Abu will suffice. Caring, always on your side and sussing evil sorcerers on your behalf, the little monkey with the sharp sense of style is one of the cutest companions around.

9 Donkey, Shrek

Donkey hasn’t been around for long but has rightfully earned a place on this list. With a disabling amount of enthusiasm and optimism, Donkey is a terribly funny, cartoon hero.

8 Scar, The Lion King

Probably one of the meanest villains to come out of the Disney machine. Evil ‘as pure as the scar on his face’, Scar was the ultimate baddie, complete with hyena henchman and blood on his hands.
7 Herman, Madagascar

Madagascar is such a great film that any of the characters could be on this list, but there’s something about a hypochondriac giraffe in love with a ghetto-hippo that just takes the biscuit.
6 The Lady and the Tramp
A classic tale of a boy from the wrong side of the tracks meeting a rich girl and falling in love, a story that finds parallels in reality and fiction everywhere. But because they were dogs eating spaghetti there was something infinitely more romantic about these two.

5 Robin Hood

Everybody’s dream man, a dashing and dangerous hopeless romantic. He’s the quintessential hero who beats the bad guys and gets the girl. Girls want to be with him and guys want to be him, and don’t deny it. 

4 Baloo, The Jungle Book

A big bumbling bear who can’t resist the rhythm, he taught us to look for the simple bare necessities and forget about our worry and our strife. A lovable companion who always tried to do right, even if he couldn’t control his feet.

3 Rocky, Chicken Run

Chicken Run is full of fabulous feathered forms, but it is Rocky who narrowly steals the show for his all-American charm and moral transformation. He is the lovable rogue who saves the day, gaining love and a new perspective.

2 Timon and Pumbaa, The Lion King

One of the most enduring double acts in Disney, Timon and Pumbaa launched the phrase ‘Hakuna Matata’ and their relentless optimism made Simba into the lion he is today. As you get older they do have a tendency to grate, but were so wonderful in childhood that the memory saves them.

1 Scooby-Doo

A cowardly detective with a serious case of the munchies, Scooby may not be the best loved on this list but he is the most unusual. He’s not brave and he can’t even speak, but he is an enduring character.

Written by Kayte Ferris