Oscar nominations for Best Picture have often featured movies concerning genius and 2010 is no exception with The Social Network telling the story of Mark Zuckerberg, teenage web-tycoon, creator of Facebook and (debatable) genius. Here are ten of his most brilliant movie predecessors, both fictional and based on real life. 10 Hermione, Harry Potter Everyone’s […]

Written by Genevieve Taylor

Oscar nominations for Best Picture have often featured movies concerning genius and 2010 is no exception with The Social Network telling the story of Mark Zuckerberg, teenage web-tycoon, creator of Facebook and (debatable) genius. Here are ten of his most brilliant movie predecessors, both fictional and based on real life.

10 Hermione, Harry Potter

Everyone’s favourite magical swot, Hermione is the well-read brain behind ‘The Boy Who Lived’.

9 Shakespeare, Shakespeare in Love

The literary genius, Shakespeare is portrayed in the list’s first Oscar-winner by Joseph Fiennes. The Bard is depicted as an impulsive, complex artist, even if he does have a weakness for cross-dressing women.

8 The Competitors, Spellbound

The only documentary on the list is a deserving entry nonetheless, telling the stories of competitors in an American Spelling Bee. These kids are focused, ridiculously knowledgeable and just a little bit terrifying!

7 Egon Spengler, Ghostbusters

Want a serious supernatural-science nerd? Who ya gonna call? Without a doubt the answer has to be Egon Spengler. The geekiest Ghostbuster enjoys analysing, spouting technical lingo and performing scientific demonstrations with cake products.

6 Frank Abagnale Jr., Catch me If You Can

A con-man so good that he now works for the FBI, Frank Abagnale Jr. is one of the greatest criminal masterminds. His intelligence is brilliantly realised by Leonardo DiCaprio in a biopic of his criminal exploits from the shocking age of 16.

5 Doc Brown, Back to the Future

Mastering the space-time continuum with a scientifically-modified DeLorean is no mean feat and earns Christopher Lloyd’s Doc Brown a well-deserved spot among the top 5 movie geniuses.

4 Raymond Babbitt, Rain Man

Dustin Hoffman won the Best Actor Oscar back in 1988 for his touching and compelling performance as autistic savant Raymond Babbitt.

3 Tony Stark, Iron Man

He invented a fully-functioning armoured suit which can fly, a technology so powerful it can both power it and keep him from dying AND he’s got enough wit to charm his way out of almost any situation: genius.

2 John Nash, A Beautiful Mind

Crowe’s performance as the schizophrenic Nobel Prize winner is simply stunning and easily one of the best portrayals of troubled brilliance.

1 Will, Good Will Hunting

Matt Damon and Ben Affleck’s multiple Oscar-winner is a fantastic exploration of genius and delves deep into its conflict with social standing. Will’s story is truly believable and doesn’t just explore the mind’s abilities but its needs. In creating and portraying this character, Damon is undoubtedly a genius himself.