Some are done by people too famous to be convincing, others are just plain awful. The rest are both. Here is a rundown of the ten of the worst. 10 Dick Van Dyke Mary Poppins ‘Blimey guv’nur!’ There is a reason why ‘Van Dyking it’ is now the verb attributed to actors doing a bad […]

Written by francisshaw

Some are done by people too famous to be convincing, others are just plain awful. The rest are both. Here is a rundown of the ten of the worst.

10 Dick Van Dyke

Mary Poppins

‘Blimey guv’nur!’ There is a reason why ‘Van Dyking it’ is now the verb attributed to actors doing a bad British accent, some of whom populate the next nine entries.

9 Colin Farrell

The Way Back

Consistent and not offensive but Colin Farrell is just too Irish to carry off Russian convincingly. Nothing here to distract from…

8 Colin Farrell

Alexander

Ancient Greek is admittedly a hard one to pull off, but whatever it is, it isn’t Irish! Also, what was up with Jolie’s strange, purring drawl? Alexander is one big accent accident.

7 Brad Pitt

The Devil’s Own

From this it seems to be harder to affect Irish than try to hide it; Pitt wasn’t believable as a suave Irish terrorist in 1997 and then went on to overdo an Irish accent, admittedly for comic effect, three years later, in Snatch.

6 Harrison Ford

K:19 The Widowmaker

With a Russian accent so bad the film made only two thirds of its budget back, Harrison should stick to Americans or space smugglers.

5 Keanu Reeves

Bram Stoker’s Dracula

Accents really aren’t Keanu’s forte. This may be known now, but Reeves goes above and beyond to mangle a British accent in Coppola’s Dracula redux. Stick to time travel, dude.

4 Winona Ryder

Bram Stoker’s Dracula

Keanu was the least of this movie’s accent problems. Winona Ryder is horrific as Mina, giving the impression that she researched her upper-crust, English dialect by listening to children playing, ‘tea party’.

3 Mel Gibson

Braveheart

Aussie Mel’s Scottish intonation in this Oscar-winning picture was so ineffectual, native Scots voted it one of the worst attempts of all time. They can butcher our accent but they cannae take our freedom!

2 Kevin Costner

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

1 Mickey Rooney

Breakfast at Tiffany’s

It’s hard to believe Tiffany’s producers would stoop so low by casting Mickey Rooney as Holly’s stereotypical Japanese neighbour. He managed to offend droves of film critics and movie goers while pretending to be a buck-toothed and bespectacled native Japanese speaker. One of the worst and most cringe-inducing casting decisions ever.

Written By Francis Shaw