10 The Barbarian Invasions Bizzarely, Fernando Meirelles’ brilliant, Oscar-worthy City of God wasn’t even nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, despite garnering four other nominations, including Best Director. 9 Norbit Bizzarely, Fernando Meirelles’ brilliant, Oscar-worthy City of God wasn’t even nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, despite garnering four other nominations, including Best Director. 8 […]

10 The Barbarian Invasions

Bizzarely, Fernando Meirelles’ brilliant, Oscar-worthy City of God wasn’t even nominated for Best Foreign Language Film, despite garnering four other nominations, including Best Director.

9 Norbit

8 Forest Gump

Forrest Gump has proved extremely popular over the years. While some will favour its Best Picture selection, others point to The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction.

7 Joel Grey, Caberet

You may well be thinking ‘who in what?’, and it would be true that this Best Supporting Actor performance hasn’t proved particularly memorable. Plus, Al Pacino, Robert Duvall and James Caan were all nominated for some film

6 Titanic

James ‘King of the World’ Cameron’s disaster epic wrongfully beat Good Will Hunting and LA Confidential and is weaker than other winners of Best Film.

5 How Green Was My Valley

Proving Academy mistakes aren’t just a recent thing, How Green Was My Valley won Best Picture over both The Maltese Falcon and Citizen Kane (listed as the greatest film ever by the American Film Institute) in 1942.

4 Rocky

There’s no denying that Rocky is an iconic film. Then again, it was up against Martin Scorsese’s Taxi Driver, a film that routinely finds its way into all time top ten lists. The film’s protagonist Travis Bickle repeatedly asked ‘You lookin’ at me?’ Clearly the Academy were not.

3 Michael Caine, The Cider House Rules

He is one of England’s best-loved actors. However, one thing you find being English is that you are not American. Caine’s attempts to disguise his Cockney roots resulted in an accent so bad it proved more memorable than the actual film.

2 Gwyneth Paltrow, Shakespeare in Love

Not only was her performance in the frankly overrated film bettered by several of her fellow nominees, the Oscar should have been revoked after possibly the most rambling acceptance speech ever.

1 Dances with Wolves

In a double Scorsese snub, Kevin Costner’s forgettable film about Native Americans and Civil War soldiers beat the outstanding Goodfellas in both Best Film and Best Director.