10 Catch Me If You Can In an inspirational moment between father and son, Frank senior (Christopher Walken) unwittingly gives Frank junior (Leonardo Dicaprio) his first cheque book, sparking off his conman career. The bond between these two is unmistakeable and it is the last truly sincere and honest moment between them.   9 The […]

10 Catch Me If You Can

In an inspirational moment between father and son, Frank senior (Christopher Walken) unwittingly gives Frank junior (Leonardo Dicaprio) his first cheque book, sparking off his conman career. The bond between these two is unmistakeable and it is the last truly sincere and honest moment between them.

9 The Empire Strikes Back

The list would not be complete without the infamous ‘Luke I am your father’ moment. Unfortunately the revelation is not well received and does not mark the start of an exactly beautiful relationship.

8 Finding Nemo

After battling the ocean to rescue Nemo, father and son are finally reunited, with the youngster having learned to appreciate a bit of fatherly love.

7 Back to the Future

In a reversal of roles, Marty (Michael J. Fox) ends up giving his father (Crispin Glover) advice to ensure his own future. The exchanges between the pair are entertaining but meaningful as Marty encourages his dad to stand up for himself.

6 The Kid

Slapstick aside, there is a real love between the Tramp (Charlie Chaplin) and his adopted son (Jackie Coogan). Their separation may be anguishing, but the duo’s reunion is tender and humorous.

5 Billy Elliot

Despite his father telling him that ballet is not for boys, Billy (Jamie Bell) defiantly stands up to him by dancing his little socks off. Realising that his son has the chance of success, he prepares to cross the picket line for him.

4 The Lion King

Mufasa’s death after sacrificing himself for Simba’s safety is the biggest tearjerker in Disney history. I challenge anyone not to get emotional.

3 Pursuit of Happyness

‘Don’t ever let somebody tell you, you can’t do something, not even me.’ Will Smith’s dreams may have been crushed but he will not let that happen to his son, who is incidentally played by his actual son, Jaden Smith.

2 Forrest Gump

The most touching scene in a film full of moving moments is when Forrest (Tom Hanks) asks whether his son is smart, concerned that he will have taken after himself in the intelligence department. In those few seconds he instantly becomes a great father.

1 Life is Beautiful

Trying to protect his young son from the frightening reality of a concentration camp, a father (Roberto Benigni) pretends that it is all a game. The scene where he improvises the supposed rules of the camp in order to keep up the pretence is both hilarious and incredibly moving, truly conveying the strength of a father’s love.