Lamide Danmole counts down the best teen flicks of yesteryear.

Written by Lamide

the-breakfast-club_4

The Breakfast Club

The_Breakfast_Club_379This is the quintessential and most well-known 80s teen movies, that has the power to make us laugh, cry, hate and love all at the same time.  Set in the detention room one Saturday morning, with five high school stereotypes – the princess, the jock, the brain, the criminal and the basket case – one would not expect the drama and intensity that Hughes creates. This is a dramatically-charged movie with moments of great humour and flashes of raw emotion. It reveals five people who, though they could not appear more different on the surface, actually have more in common than one would expect. There are also moments of romance, which makes it all the more loveable. And of course, who can forget that triumphant fist punch by Bender which provides the perfect end to a great film.

heathers-1

Heathers

Heathers_054This movie has been called the original Mean Girls, but Heathers is dark comedy that would have you in fits of laughter with their unique one liner such as “Did you have a brain tumour for breakfast?” yet also questioning if what you just saw on screen really did just happen! Set in the high school, Heathers works through the typical 80s-high-school drama and social hierarchy in a unique way. Starring a young Winona Ryder and Christian Slater, who enter into a dangerous relationship whilst attempting to rid high school of it social hierarchy and its dictator. Heathers is a cult classic that infuses school drama with dark comedy thriller in a nice, healthy package. It is not a well-known classic but mostly definitely worth a watch, and you’ll soon realise where every teen movie after the 80s got their inspiration from.

2

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Ferris-BuellerJohn Hughes hit the jackpot again, by creating possibly the best feel good 80s movie. The film begins with when Ferris calls in sick for school, to spend a fun-filled day in the city with his girlfriend and best friend. His unconvinced headmaster Rooney played by the utterly hilarious Jeffery Jones, then makes it his life mission to catch Ferris cutting class. In this film Hughes has mixed slapstick comedy with social commentary about status and parents. There is nothing not to love in this film, with Matthew Broderick playing the charming Ferris who we can’t help but love, and his trusty best friend Cameron Frye (Alan Ruck) gives us a good dose of teenage troubles and family issues. This is a brilliant comedy that will leave you with a smile on your face and the itching the desire to skip a day of lectures just to roam the city.

Lamide Danmola