Following the release of the trailer for Captain America: Civil War, Redbrick Film critic Roshni Patel breaks down the pivotal points.

Redbrick Gaming Editor, who also occasionally dabbles in the dark arts of other sections. Graduating July 2018
Images by ScreenRant

Disclaimer: The following article contains spoilers and speculation.

This week saw the release of one of the most anticipated movie trailers of the year, Captain America: Civil War. Famed to be one of the biggest events in the Marvel Universe, there has been much controversy over how loosely drawn the Russo Brothers’ film would be from the original comics. Teased all year long with set stills, film clips in end credits (Ant Man) and a small clip at the D23 Expo, the trailer has at last been released to settle the some rumours and create more. In this article I’ll break down the trailer and throw in some Easter eggs to add to the suspense and list of questions.

To get the obvious out of the way, Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan) has been found, and he’s in the film. He seems to have recovered his full memories, and so presumably remembers all the things he’s done as the HYDRA’s pitbull. In the trailer, Bucky and his past crimes seem to be a pivotal piece in the conflict between Captain America (Chris Evans) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.). However in the comics, he’s also rumoured to have killed Stark’s parents, so perhaps that too fuels Tony’s rage. We also get a glimpse at the initial line up of the two opposing sides which look to be Iron Man and Iron Patriot (James ‘Rhodey’ Rhodes, played by Don Cheadle), against Captain America, Bucky, Falcon (Anthony Mackie), Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen).

Another obvious new face is Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman), in his first Marvel Cinematic Universe outing. Not originally from America or a prominent media hero, Black Panther comes from African nation Wakanda, the home of the ultra-precious metal Vibranium – what Captain America’s shield is made from. This means he has no clear allegiances in this war, and although the trailer shows him chasing and assaulting Bucky, he’s just as likely to switch sides. Speaking of murky allegiances, where will Black Widow’s (Scarlett Johansson) lie? While her subtle threat to Captain America suggested Iron Man, she could be either or even neutral. This early teaser also missed some key characters which we were all dying to see, such as Ant-Man, Vision and Spiderman. On which side will they fall? While the comics have always hinted Spidey chooses Tony, Vision is new but, is of course based off of Tony’s old system, J.A.R.V.I.S, and Ant-Man already seems to be on the Falcon’s radar. There’s also no mention of Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) in this instalment, as chronologically he’s already off to Planet Hulk, but cinematically, they probably just couldn’t fit him into the already saturated cast of characters.

But what pulled all our heart strings was the deterioration of the friendship between Captain America and Iron Man, from hostile exchanges and cautious conversations to heart-breaking quotes such as “He’s my friend.” “…So was I.” This trailer isn’t a good one for Tony, from cradling Rhodey after his Arc Reactor was viciously removed, by Bucky perhaps, to having the Captain and Bucky teaming up against him, tossing the shield between them like synchronized relay racers.

With another 2-3 trailers yet to be released, there’s still so much more to be revealed about the latest installment in the MCU timeline, which is set to be released in cinemas in May 2016. Despite the fact that Civil War can’t physically feature all comic content, the film is predicted to be closer to the comics that originally planned, with the Sokovia Accord better resembling the original Superhero Registration Act. Of course, only time will tell whether Civil War does the comics and the hype justice.