Two Students Stabbed with Needles on Nights Out in Freshers' Week | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Two Students Stabbed with Needles on Nights Out in Freshers’ Week

The separate incidents occurred at Rosies on Thursday and Fab on Saturday

Kirsty Knell, a second year University of Birmingham Classical Literature and Civilisation student, was on a night out with a large group of friends in the Dao room at Rosies when she says that she felt a sharp stabbing pain in her upper back.

She is one of two students who claim to have been stabbed with needles on nights out during the past week.

It felt like when you get an injection, so immediately I assumed I had been stabbed by a pin or a needle
‘It felt like when you get an injection, so immediately I assumed I had been stabbed by a pin or a needle,’ she told Redbrick.

She added: ‘My boyfriend pulled me to the side to see what was wrong and noticed that I was bleeding, so he took me to a security guard who then led me to the front of the club.’

Knell stated that a medic treated her back with an antibacterial wipe, but then suggested that she should go back to the dancefloor to enjoy the rest of her night.

It was only after speaking to her parents that she went to her GP the next day. Since the incident, she has also been to A&E twice and visited the gum clinic for treatment - which will continue for the next three months.

Kirsty Knell, 19, second year UoB student.

In a statement to Redbrick, Vodbull - the organisers behind the club night at Rosies - said: 'We pride ourselves on years of high customer service to ensure Vodbull events are both safe and enjoyable.'

However, Knell says that she was only 'relatively' satisfied by the medical advice she received at the club, suggesting that 'if I didn't have as much support as I do [from friends and family], I don't think I would have sought help so quickly.'

Vodbull have confirmed they are working with the venue and it is currently being investigated. They are in contact with the alleged victim regarding the incident.

Another student claims that a friend was stabbed with a needle at the Guild of Students during Fab N Fresh on Saturday, although Redbrick cannot confirm that the individual in question was a student at the University of Birmingham.

The friend told Redbrick that the student has been to A&E for blood tests and is now going through a course of Hepatitis B jabs.

Kirsty Knell posted about her experiences on Fab N Fresh – the UoB Facebook group with nearly 25,000 members – because she ‘thought it was important people knew that this has happened to me and could possibly happen to someone else.

‘After spending my whole weekend in and out of hospitals, clinics and my GP, with the fear of a long-term health condition looming over me, I wanted to inform other people about it because it has been - and still is - a very scary and stressful ordeal.’

Welfare and Community Officer Izzy Bygrave said she was 'extremely concerned' to hear that students have been affected by needle stabbings.

In her statement to Redbrick, she said: 'We urge any student who has been a victim of this, a similar, or any crime to report it to the police immediately so that it can be investigated.'

We urge any student who has been a victim of this, a similar, or any crime to report it to the police immediately so that it can be investigated
She also noted that any such reported incidents are investigated fully by the Guild and appropriate action will be taken, pending advice from the police.

Students are advised to inform the police if an incident occurs by phoning 101 or 999 in an emergency.

To report an incident in the Guild, approach a member of staff on shift or email complaints@guild.bham.ac.uk.

If you have been stabbed with a needle, seek medical advice - either from your GP, a gum clinic, or at A&E if you think the injury poses an immediate risk.

More advice and support can be found by contacting the Guild Advice support services at guildadvice@guild.bham.ac.uk.

Since the publication of this article, a spokesperson for Rosie's issued the following statement to Redbrick:

'We were made aware of this alleged incident on the evening and Kirsty was seen by a paramedic as a precaution but that did not raise any concerns for either her safety or that of other customers. The security and care of our customers is paramount and we will of course support any investigation should we receive an official complaint or enquiry from the Police.'

News Editor and Third Year English Student. (@liam_taft_)

Liam Taft

Kirsty Knell