The University of Birmingham has agreed to give its staff the living wage under pressure from workers unions

Education Correspondent. 3rd year History student. Interests: History, Politics, Journalism.

The University of Birmingham has announced that they have agreed to pay staff the Living Wage.

The announcement was issued to all UoB staff via an email from Adam Tickell, Provost and Vice Principal. The email, which was sent on the afternoon of 5th March, stated that an agreement over pay had been reached jointly between the Unite and Unison unions and the University. UNISON and Unite have both partaken in industrial strike action over the last few months.

The email states that, ‘the Branch executives of Unison and Unite will recommend to their members that no further industrial action be taken in relation to the 2013 pay settlement.

‘Both sides are committed to early and constructive discussions to reach agreement on the settlement for 2014 provisionally commencing on 10 March 2014.’

The changes will take effect from 1 August 2014, when the university will match the current Living Wage, which is estimated to be £7.65 (outside London). The agreements that have been settled at the University of Birmingham are not representative of a national change, with many universities still refusing to pay the Living Wage standard of £7.65 for all staff.

The Guild of Students is yet to comment on the pay increase for those below the Living Wage.

A final year Politics and Economics student told us, ‘It’s an amazing example of what staff and students, working together, can achieve.’