University of Birmingham Drops Four Places in University Ranking | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

University of Birmingham Drops Four Places in University Ranking

The University of Birmingham has fallen in the Guardian’s 2019 ranking of top universities.

The newspaper has placed Birmingham as the 19th ranked higher education institution in the United Kingdom, down four spots from the 2018 rankings.

The Guardian’s rankings review how satisfied students are with their course, teaching, and feedback, as well as factors such as staff to student ratio, employment, and a continuation score. Overall, there are nine factors that make up the Guardian’s score, which is averaged out and compared to other universities.

The Guardian also breaks down the rankings within specific programs. Highlights for Birmingham include being ranked fourth in Sports Sciences and fifth in English and Creative Writing.

Highlights for Birmingham include being ranked fourth in Sports Sciences and fifth in English and Creative Writing.

Most of the top universities remained unchanged, with Cambridge, Oxford, and St. Andrews all retaining their ranks as first, second, and third respectively. The universities all attained near-perfect scores, with Cambridge coming out on top with a 100% score.

Many Russell Group universities appeared lower down on the list than Birmingham. Cardiff and King’s College London tied for the 58th ranking, and Liverpool landed at 57th. The lowest ranking Russell Group university on the Guardian’s polls was Queen Mary at 83rd, down from 44th the previous year.

The Guardian explains that their rankings are derived from statistics sourced from the National Student Survey and the tracking of postgraduate employment.

Though the Guardian list is a popular option in the United Kingdom, it is not exhaustive in its efforts to pin down a university’s rank within the country or the world. The latest rankings from The Complete University Guide placed Birmingham at 15th in the United Kingdom, up one place from the previous year. In addition, this year, Birmingham placed 141st in the world on The World University rankings, run through Times Higher Education, but 84th in the QS World University Rankings.

Birmingham placed 141st in the world on The World University rankings

The polls each assess varied criteria, which may account for the varied results. It is not clear whether university ranking schemes help to ensure a job for graduates when they leave their institutions.

Many of the university rankings do not feature emerging academic fields, such as the academic discourse of film studies, in their scores, leaving little use for students applying to these sorts of programmes. However, there is long evidence and trends for long-standing programmes such as law, mathematics, and engineering. It is not clear how subdivisions of these broad courses affect rankings and employment opportunities.

(@madmcin)

15th June 2018 at 5:55 pm

Gavin Warrins