UoB and Hebei University Join Hands to Combat Global Pollution | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

UoB and Hebei University Join Hands to Combat Global Pollution

The University of Birmingham has announced that it has signed an agreement with China’s Hebei University to establish a joint research institute. It will work on tackling significant global issues connected to environmental pollution and injustice

The agreement to open the International Centre for Precision Environmental Health and Governance was signed in Birmingham by Hebei University President Dr Le Kang, who led a group of delegates from the Chinese University, and UoBs Provost Professor Tim Jones.

The new institute, combining both science and social science research, will focus on investigating solutions to a range of issues, specifically: pollution from multiple sources; public health crises among the poorest populations caused by environmental toxicity; and the failure of regulatory efforts to tackle these issues.

Professor Tim Jones said: ‘The University of Birmingham is proud to work with our partners in China to combine scientific, legal and public health expertise to confront the global health and justice problems caused by pollution.

The institute will focus our combined academic excellence on offering solutions to better protect people from harm caused by exposure to pollution

‘We very much believe that a collaboration with Hebei University to establish this international Institute will offer leadership at making the environment safe from chemicals and at defending people's rights to a healthful environment.’

A team of scientists, lawyers, engineers and health experts will all work together at the institute in Baoding, near north China’s Hebei Province. Professor Hisham Mehanna, from the University of Birmingham’s Institute for Global Innovation, says that the research will allow scientists to establish the causal relationship between pollution and damage to public health which will in turn enable developments in environmental law.

Hebei University President Professor Le Kang said: ‘It is important for Hebei University to partner with the University of Birmingham on jointly establishing this international research centre. The institute will focus our combined academic excellence on offering solutions to better protect people from harm caused by exposure to pollution. We will work to inform the public about their options to defend their health and to safeguard the environment that we all depend on.’

If the world is going to prevent a climate catastrophe, colleges and universities must lead

This announcement coincides with a damning report released by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) warning of an impending climate crisis if urgent changes are not enacted in the next 12 years.

Janet Napolitano, former secretary of Homeland Security under the Obama administration, has recently insisted that universities should globally lead efforts to slow climate change.

She said ‘If the world is going to prevent a climate catastrophe, colleges and universities must lead. We owe it to our university communities, our states, nation, and world.’

Wim Van 't Einde