UoB Hosts First-Ever Events for Hate Crime Awareness Week | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

UoB Hosts First-Ever Events for Hate Crime Awareness Week

National Hate Crime Awareness Week took place from October 13th to October 20th. The University of Birmingham organised a series of events, which started from Friday 12th October

There were a number of events held across the week, covering topics such as what Hate Crime is, how to spot it, the measures used to try and prevent it, and what services are available at the University.

Hate Crime Awareness week takes place between the second and third Saturday of October every year and is aimed to support people who have been affected by Hate Crime and to empower communities. It became an established campaign in 2012 and has happened every year since.

The ‘Hate Crime Awareness Social’ was the first UoB event for Hate Crime Awareness week and took place on Friday 12th October. The event had music, an international buffet, and appearances by the Campus Police Officer, Security Services, the Equality and Diversity Team. The theme of the event was to celebrate the ‘diverse community’ at the University.

Several events were then held from Monday 15th October to  Friday 19th October across campus which varied from a ‘Hate Crime Awareness information sharing event’ at the Bournbrook Community Hub to a bespoke play performed by the Caravan Theatre in their caravan at the Law Building Arches.

Alongside running events, Old Joe was lit up pink for the whole week to recognise National Hate Crime Awareness Week.

A group of students stated that the University organising events and Old Joe turning pink for the week ‘really helped raise awareness’ for the cause and was a ‘good way to get young people involved and attentive towards social issues’.

Liam Taft